Monday, July 27, 2015

Stamps of the World -- Meet the World :)

Hi everyone :) 

I wanted to share an altered project that I made :) 

And of course, if you know me, there is a LONG story to go with it :) 


I have been obsessed with altering a Globe for awhile now  -- 

I bought a Globe from an antique store a long time ago -- just waiting to alter it --

Fast forward to me moving into my new craft room --- I had the said Globe that I bought on the floor of my new craft room, while I was standing on a step ladder hammering in a nail for something I wanted to hang on the wall -- I went to set the hammer down, DROPPED it and yes, it LANDED on the GLOBE!!! Totally BROKE it!!! UGH!!!

Fast forward to me being at the antique store AGAIN and finding another one -- *sigh* ... well, I knew I wanted to do something similar to this that I found on Pinterest :)

So I reached out to my very talented friend Yvonne and asked her what adhesive I should use to adhere the vintage stamps that I bought to cover the Globe with -- she suggested Liquitex :) (THANK YOU YVONNE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) :) 

So I happily covered the Globe with the vintage stamps (took me FOREVER by the way!!! YIKES!!!) .... then I decided to LIGHTLY coat it with a white paint .....

UGH!!! That SO did NOT work!! It was horrible! You couldn't see the stamps anymore... the paint was streak-y ... just horrible!! 

So back to square one!! 

Bought MORE vintage postal stamps from the antique store ... *sigh* and started again with adhering the postal stamps to the Globe (over the botched paint job!) 

And FINALLY I am done!!! :) 


*Side Note* -- I just LOVE postal stamps .... no matter where you live in the world -- they are just works of art -- like a tiny scene on a tiny canvas!!! LOVE THEM!! :) 


**Second Side Note** -- I wonder if the man that was selling the vintage postal stamps at the antique store would have a heart attack (not a real one people -- just a figure of speech! LOL!) if he knew I was going to totally use the stamps on an altered home decor project! :) 


***Third Side Note*** -- how many of my international friends (the domestic ones too!) can find stamps from their country or state on my Globe???


Ok ... now that we have all THAT out there -- let's see that Globe Julie!!! :)




























Thanks so much for stopping by! I appreciate it! :)
 

39 comments:

  1. This project is absolutely FABULOUS!!! Sorry you went through so much getting to create it...I often run into snags of that nature too...amazing the goodies we can get at the antique store/thrift shop/GoodWill etc. So much fun for altering!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love your altered globe and especially loved reading your story behind it, Julie! It was totally worth everything that happened to get to it's ending state - it's a work of art! I bet it looks amazing in your new room. And Anne and I found China among the stamps!!!! YAY!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is SOOOO cool! I love stamps too and just collect them-tearing them off of envelopes and letting them float around my scrapbook room. LOL This is just fantastic! I love how you did the words to-a very nice touch. :):)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness! Just absolutely fabulous!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is freakin' awesome!!!!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. *gasp* this is AMAZING!!!! Oooh Julie!!!! I DID see some aussie stamps with birds on them...one being a cockatoo!! Seeee..... did look! What a treasure you've made and such a conversation piece!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my. This was totally worth the effort...and stamps! Looks amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow!!! Love hearing your "behind the scenes" of your absolutely fabulous project, love that you didn't let those stumbling blocks stop you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOWSIES! That project sure did push your limits!!! Good on you for sticking to it:) and soo worth while... It looks amazing. Now, Julie-- do NOT stand on it!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a clever idea! This is absolutely amazing! I really love what you did with all the postage stamps.

    ReplyDelete
  11. this is the coolest project ever!! I LOVE it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yaaaa! I did see an Australian stamp! That looks amazing! I cannot even imagine how long it all took you considering you had to glue the stamps on twice... I hope you have got it somewhere safe!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So cool and creative, Julie! Now I think I know what I should do with my old stamp collection! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. What an amazing project Julie!!
    Really amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow...an awesome project Julie !!! So sorry that I have been MIA lately. Life at the Mission is hectic and taking priority over blogging and scrapping. I do miss my friends in the computer and the interaction so much xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. I so love this project! Awesome! We had an old school globe that had a plug in so it lite up! Darn if my hubby did not donate to one of the thrift stores! :-(! I really love what you did to this. Thanks for sharing. Hugs, Anne

    ReplyDelete
  17. THIS reminds me of that huge frame you made with all those rolled roses! I admire you for your creativity but also your STAYING POWER of keeping on track to get it all done! Your project here is ROCK STAR quality and boy do I want one just like it! HUGS THERE GIRL and good job!

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is beautiful!! LOVE all the vintage stamps on the saying!! And I am sure you thrilled that it is complete after the long process!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. WOW!!! This looks AMAZING Julie!! So glad that you persevered because the end result is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Omgosh, what a story, Julie! But look at how amazing your globe turned out to be, after all those trials and tribulations! I LOVE it! Those postage stamps are SO cool! I know what you mean about them being little works of art. When I was young, I used to collect stamps.... I would soak them off the envelopes and paste them into my collector books... so this project really speaks to me. LOVE the sentiment, too! SO awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow! This is such a cool piece! I love this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is my all-time favorite of your many, many projects. It is so cool.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Absolutely fantastic, wow just brilliant

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh, wow, this is so cool - I just love it!!! I have some of those stamps!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Beautiful! This must look amazing in your new room. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Gorgeous!!!! Amazing and so creative!!
    Love this idea!! It looks amazing!!
    BTW I use to collect stamps and I still save the ones I dont have that are unique!
    I might have to lift this project one day to add my stamp collection.
    The funny thing is I have too wanted to alter a globe but never found the time.
    Maybe one day if I do I will share it and let everyone know I lifted yours!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Awesome cool project Julie, and I could actually find stamps from both my countries Norway (by birth) and Sweden (whre I've lived for 30 years). It was well worth all the effort in the end! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  28. OHHH HOW COOL!!! Love the stamps and the Creative lettering!! What a great project!!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Swoon! After all that, I would've just thrown my hands in the air and said that it just wasn't meant to be. SO GLAD you stuck with it! This is stunning! What a striking piece!

    ReplyDelete
  30. This is too cool, Julie - the project AND the story. I'm with you on not telling the man where the stamps were going!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so MUCH for taking the time to leave us a comment!! We appreciate that you are taking time from your busy day to visit! :)