Wednesday, August 13, 2014

The story of the table :)

Hi everyone :) 

I wanted to share a table I recently re-did :) 

The story is ... last November, we were shopping at an antique store, I turned the corner and saw this AMAZING coffee table -- long, sturdy and gorgeously vintage :) 

Brian bought it for me and said it could be a part of my Christmas gift :) 

So here it is on Christmas morning :) 


No you may think it looks great this way, but in real life, it wasn't that great ... it was rough and not sanded very well .... I know what the original owner was trying to accomplish ... but it didn't turn out that great :) 

So I tried to sand it -- but for those that don't know, I was born with a nerve tumor in my wrist -- so sanding is NOT easy for me :)  

Enter Adam, the 17 year old, 6 foot 1 inch giant son of mine to do the sanding ... 

If you didn't catch that earlier ... he is SEVENTEEN ... so that translates into teenage laziness *wink* 

So it took awhile to get done *wink* 

I bought paint, as I knew I didn't want to stain it :) 

The paint I bought was crap  :(  so it didn't turn out as good as I had hoped :( 

Here it is after the first attempt of painting with the horrible paint :( 



So I wasn't happy with it :(  Back to the drawing board ... 

Unfortunately, I had to rely on Brian and Adam to help me, cause I could not sand it because of my tumor in my wrist ... 

So, I waited, and waited and waited for them to re-sand, take the paint off etc .... 

In the mean time, this was sitting in our garage .... 

If you know anything about where I live (Phoenix, AZ) ... it is HOT ... like surface of the sun hot ... for reals ... it is OVER 100 degrees for more than 6 months out of the year ... HOT 

So the garage, which is closed off, gets ever MORE hot ...and my table suffered because of it ... 

The tops where the drawers are cracked ... straight lines right across the top .... ugh!!
Brian bought wood filler, Adam re-sanded it ... nothing was going to fix those cracks ....

To say Mama was unhappy was an understatement *wink* 

Bought new paint, tried to "hide" the cracks ... nope ... nothing was gonna fix it .... 

Here is one of the cracks AFTER I re-painted it with much BETTER paint :) 

 Nope ... nothing was gonna fix the cracks ... 



So enter my creative side :) 

I still had Prima papers left over from Frosted Designs May kit... and I decided to decoupage the two ends of the table :)

I cut 4 sheets of Prima's  papers into 3x3 inch squares and got to work :) 

And here it is all done ... FINALLY *wink* 

After all that .... got her done :) 









Thanks so much for stopping by! I appreciate it! :)

45 comments:

  1. Oh wow !! Hardwork definitely paid off Julie!! Loving the finished redolling!! It's beautiful !! The prima pp matched the paint color you chose!! You are genius and the transformation is amazingly beautiful !! You rock girlfriend !! Super awesome .. Hugs x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job! Looks a bit like an antique telephone table - you know, where there is a cushion in the middle? I think you have done so well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is just beautiful Julie!! I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very creative solution. Glad your story had a happy ending.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The end result is amazing!! Wish I had a creative streak like that when it comes to projects/furniture!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my, this looks amazing! You're so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh wow, you did a great job, it looks fab. X

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! I love the end result! The patterned paper top is super fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! All of the family collaboration definitely paid off. This is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very nice! That's crazy that your garage is hot enough to cause wood to crack. What are you crazy people doing living somewhere that mimics the surface of the sun? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my word...all your hard work paid off and your table is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. that turned out amazing!! LOVE the finished product and vintage feel!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow what a brilliant transformation! Love, love, love the added interest of the papers and they hid the cracks beautifully. Super gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. so so fun..love the green and love the paper touches...such a fun look.

    ReplyDelete
  15. So cute! I love the table with all the prima papers, a wonderful addition to any home!

    ReplyDelete
  16. See..... All good things come to those who wait....& suffer!!!!!! Well worth the perserverance.... LOVE your lateral thinking to deal with those cracks....looks FAB:):)

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a fantastic transformation! This looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a genius idea and I loooooove the way it turned out. It's as if that's the way it was meant to be!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh my goodness this turned out so nice! Love the decoupage parts- so creative of you.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow! I can't imagine when you first saw it cracked? But who would know now (except us in blogland) ;) That's a beautiful table! I LOVE the green!! So clever to use that cool paper too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a transformation Julie, well done!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Fabulous!!! Really love how this turned out :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great job Julie! This looks fantastic

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh you are so clever Julie! What an amazing job you've done! Go you!

    ReplyDelete
  25. i love the collaged papers - so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  26. OMGoodness, what a story! I know it must have been so hard to wait and wait and then watch your beautiful table crack....but seriously, what a fabulous save you came up with! It looks awesome! I love the collage paper you chose, and that green is adorable. Did you use washi on the edges? Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  27. oh wow, I'm speechless, hehee! This is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  28. You did this so beautifully Julie! Really worth it in the end!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. WOW!!! this came out fab! I love trash to treasure projects and you always have the best. Sanding and preparing furniture is the worst, but I love the actual painting part :) Enjoy your fun new table

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a great story and look at the end results...fabulous job Julie! Sorry, it took so many attempts to get it but WOW, it looks like it was worth it! Looks amazing and how fun to have the guys help!
    TFS!
    Have a super evening!
    Sherrie K

    ReplyDelete
  31. That's one amazing transformation. You must smile every time you walk past it... a real beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  32. What a story...but it turned out for the better, I just love the Prima papers you added, it fits this table so well. Great project Julie!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Way to go! It turned out awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  34. WOW! What a transformation! LONG time but worth the wait for something so FAB!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Oh my, Julie!! This is gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Glad the men came through in the end...and you are finally done with the project...looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Such a fantastic idea and I LOVE how it turned out! Awesome! Where did you put it in your house? I bet it's an eyecatcher wherever it stands :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so MUCH for taking the time to leave us a comment!! We appreciate that you are taking time from your busy day to visit! :)