Friday, December 27, 2013

Seriously... what was I thinking?? :)

Hi all! :) 

So I mentioned before that I was making a lot of gifts this year for Christmas ... well, when it came to what I am sharing today ... I think I was WAY over my head!! LOL!! :)

So my brother is a Superman FANATIC... like CRAZY fanatic!! LOL!! And I know that my BFF Jason and his son Garrison are comic book fanatics!! 

I got this crazy idea (really .. it was an INSANE idea!! LOL!!) ... there is a local artist in Phoenix, that takes old comic books and tears them into tiny pieces and then makes HUGE canvasses with them -- he takes the comic book pieces and makes faces of Superheroes!!! I thought ... ok, I can make something on a smaller scale -- not Superhero faces ... but maybe their symbols on their outfits!! Easy... right?? LOL ... not so much!!! :)

I knew my brother was the Superman "S" on his chest ... check, check! Then I asked my BFF Jason what his and his son's fave superheroes were ... their answers?? SPIDERMAN and WOLVERINE .... hmmm ok, Spiderman has the Spider on his chest ... should be easy ... but WOLVERINE?? Yikes!! There is NOTHING on his chest!! No symbol..... nothing!!!!! YIKES!!!!

 But I ventured on and bought 4 comic books from the antique store .... hmmmm this was a lot harder than I thought ... as  COLORFUL as the COVERS are of comic books .... the insides don't have a lot of colors in them! LOL!!

So I started tearing and cutting and shaping and moving etc etc etc comic book collage pieces to make them "look" like the superheroes I was making ... oy! What a task this was! :) 

 After I had each one done, I added them to 11x14 canvasses that I painted beforehand for my Brother, my BFF and his son ... 

and here they are :) 


Superman :) 

 







Wolverine :) 








And Spiderman :)






Even those these were REALLY HARD to create ... in the end it was ALL worth it!! All the boys loved their canvasses!!  :)



Thanks so much for stopping by! I appreciate it! :)

45 comments:

  1. OMG!!! Fantastic job! I am sooo impressed! They are absolutely amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!!! Talk about talent...these are AMAZING AND TOTALLY COOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Hat's off to you & I'm glad I now know what NOT to attempt for the Boys' future Christmas pressies!!! Fabulous job:):):)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are amazing! What a great gift idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! These are amazing, Julie! Good for you for sticking with them, even though they were a lot of work (and thankfully appreciated). :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow!!!! That is the definition of love and Christmas, amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You were thinking of how much you love them and wanted to do something special!! These turned out amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. TOTALLY AWESOME!! I'm sure they were all thrilled. you did a fabulous job on them. and how hard Spidey and Wolverine had to be!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow... these are amazing!! I need to do this!! It is a great idea! I need to do this for the kids dad! He would love these!

    ReplyDelete
  10. THIS IS AMAZING!!!!! DO you need more comics? Let me know if you do...

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW! They are amazing Julie! What thoughtful gifts! I'm sure that it must have taken you hours to complete them! You are such a sweet person!

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW great job on all 3 of them!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your super hero projects are AMAZING!!!! I love seeing them all at the movies too. You did a great job on these!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! You did an amazing job here! Your wolverine one is actually my fave ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. So thoughtful and creative. These turned out GREAT.

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh my this are wonderful so clever !!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Julie these are really amazing! I can only imagine just how difficult they must be and I admire you for taking this on!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are fabulous, Julie!! Your hard work definitely paid off!

    ReplyDelete
  19. those turned out SUPER cool and I bet was alot of work!!!! I'm sure they loved them!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wowzers, looks like an incredible amount of work but with fab results! You are so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  21. OMG WOW doesn't even cover it Julie! You did an AMAZING job with these canvases! What wonderful and thoughtful gifts! Beautiful work! Happy New Year my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Such a wonderful idea. You did an awesome job my friend. LOVE them.

    Hugs~

    ReplyDelete
  23. WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! These are absolutely AMAZING!!!!!!!! Wow!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  24. wow! amazing works of art, these are just fabulous!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. So worth the Extreme effort, Julie! LOVE Wolverine the Best because that was just so HARD to make but they are all FAB and such GREAT Christmas gifts!

    ReplyDelete
  26. You just AMAZE me again, these canvasses are SOOOOO BEAUTIFUL Julie!! They will love these and so sweet of you to makes this for your BFF.
    I already wish you and your family and friends a WOnderful New Year with lots of crafting in 2014!!

    With love from The Netherlands,
    Leintje*

    ReplyDelete
  27. A labor of love and well worth it!!! These turned out amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. WoW! what special gifts!!!

    gold star for your efforts!

    : .)

    ReplyDelete
  29. oh my goodness! these are so cool. You could probably make a ton selling these on etsy!

    -The Preppy Student!

    ReplyDelete
  30. These are seriously, SERIOUSLY incredible Julie. I can't imagine the amount of work you put into them. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  31. WOW you are indeed amazing Julie!!!... You did an INCREDIBLE job! Hugs...x

    ReplyDelete
  32. OMG Julie!! This is absolutely stunning!!! How clever you are!!!
    Hope you had a fab Xmas!

    ReplyDelete
  33. OMGOSH, Girl! My jaw is hanging open! You are amazing, truly amazing! These are sooooo creative!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Each detail shines thru! I can see their smiles now! What fantastic gifts you made!

    ReplyDelete
  35. OHHHHHHHH WOW! This is an amazing design for these canvases…. you've done a fab job tearing up these comic book pages to create each canvas! I bet these guys loved these gifts:)

    ps…. THANK YOU for all of your sweet comments! You have literally made me feel so special daily/weekly/monthly! I cannot say thank you enough! And THANK YOU for your comments on the Virtual Smooches blog! I'm sooooooo glad that I have someone watching my videos:) LOL! You are the BESTEST!!!!!!!!!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  36. Wow Julie! These are brilliant!!! Such seriously amazing projects! LOVE LOVE LOVE them to bits and pieces! Literally! xo

    ReplyDelete
  37. WOW WOW WOW what an undertaking.... you are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  38. So fun, Julie! What a great idea, and such terrific gifts for the men in your life!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so MUCH for taking the time to leave us a comment!! We appreciate that you are taking time from your busy day to visit! :)