Saturday, November 9, 2013

From lampshade to table centerpiece???? :)

Hi all! :) 

I have been WAITING to share this with you all week! :)  If you know me, have crafted with me, you know I do my projects all in one sitting - nothing ever 'carries over' for me :) - it is really antsy to me if I DON'T finish a project in one day! LOL! :)  

So on to my story -- a couple of weekends ago, my Dad came over for dinner with an old lampshade from a lamp of his that died -- and asked me if I wanted it to make something with it (see this is one of the MILLION reasons I love my family ... they NEVER throw ANYTHING away without asking me first! LOL!! Good thing to have them all trained!! LOL!) ... anyhoo ... I said "SURE!!! I will take it .. I am sure I can make something with it!" 

Fast forward one week later ... this HUGE (yes ... it is HUGE!!) lampshade was sitting on one of my scrappy space shelves just daunting me ... it wasn't a small thing I could just tuck into a drawer while waiting for inspiration to strike :) 

Finally it hit me!!! I would make it into a Thanksgiving centerpiece!! :) 

So I have been working on this ALL WEEK long ... every night when I got home from work I would work a little bit more on it :)  So ... yes, this project took me a WHOLE WEEK to finish!! LOL! :)


So here is what it looked like when my Dad gave it to me :) 





And here is what I turned it into ----




I spray painted the actual lampshade and then found fake Fall leaves on clearance at Target and layered them around the sides :) 



Inside I used some dried crafty hay that I had left over from Brookie's Birthday party as a filler and then added some Sunflower tops that I had laying around the house :) 



The fake Fall leaves came on 'branches'  -- so I used the branches from the leaves and curved them to go around the 'mouth' of the lampshade --- then I free cut some burlap banner pieces and used some embroidery thread to sew the banner pieces to the branches :) 




I also found some acorns at the dollar spot at Target and added them as accents around the edges :) 



After I added all the burlap banner pieces I cut and distressed some old book pages to add some texture :)  Then I added vintage milk caps and some Tim Holtz tags that I also distressed :) 











A close up of my stitching on the banner pieces :) 






And here it is on my kitchen counter top :) 





Thanks so much for stopping by! I appreciate it! :)

63 comments:

  1. GASP! WOW!!! Julie, this is beautiful!!! What a creative mind you have! I especially love how the orange leaves drape over the sides of the shade. Stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh my gosh LOVE!!!!!! that is sooo super cute and perfect for fall!!! totally rockin it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i will never look at an old lamp shade the same again!!!! girlfriend you ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is gorgeous Julie....you are the next Martha Stewart!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG, you totally rock dude!!!! Fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now that is a TOTAL transformation & I totally 'get you' re the 'one sitting' thing too - so good on you for getting this done:):) LOOVE The burlap leaves & how you've used the Holtz tickets...wonderful!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I absolutely LOVE your creation!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How do you come up with these ideas! Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jawdropping!.... this is so awesome !!! What a stunning transformation Julie!!!...How can I not love this!!!... You rock! hugs...x

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG.. This is amazing. You are so creative. Well done my friend.

    Hugs~

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh how much fun is this! What a great up cycle!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, this is so cool Julie - I really love how you have used the burlap and the TH tickets :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Too, too clever! What a beautiful project, I love everything about it !

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are brilliant. This is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Amazing Julie. I would of never thought of doing that. It looks awesome. Wonder if you Dad will notice it next time he is over.

    ReplyDelete
  16. TOTALLY stunning work of art Julie! You are so clever at transforming everyday things into real eyecatchers!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is my favorite of your autumn creations!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Absolutely STUNNING! What a piece of art, you sure spent your time well!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You have such amazing creativity you clever girl!

    Have a lovely fall week!

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  20. very clever - you have a great imagination!

    ReplyDelete
  21. this is a masterpiece!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wonderful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Awesome job Julie!!! and in one week! You're the best!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow, wow!! That's super 'crafty'!!
    It looks absolutely stunning, Julie!! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Such thee transformation...awesome work Julie!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Are you kidding me?! Julie, I do believe you've reached a whole new level of awesome with this project. Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  26. WOW Julie! Only you could think of making a lampshade into a beautiful Thanksgiving centerpiece! And it is absolutely gorgeous! Thanks for sharing all of the photos of your details with us. You are awesome, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  27. truly amazing. The things you create always make me smile

    ReplyDelete
  28. Amazing transformation! It makes a beautiful centerpiece!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Beautiful center piece Julie, and awesome way to upcycle the lamp shade!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Love it!! So Gorgeous!!!
    Love how you added the leaves to go around the entire lamp shade!!
    Amazing decorative piece and what a way to recycle!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. You nailed this. What an amazing transformation!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh Lordy, lordy, lordy!!! You have just blown me away...
    wow! That is just magnificent and exquisite all rolled into one!

    You are sooooooo creative!! Well done! and I'm sure you are going to get some surprised faces when they don't believe that was the ole lampshade!!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. oh my goodness, you are the queen of trash to treasure! This is fab and will look amazing on your table for the holidays, REALLY NICE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Awesome job repurposing an old lamp shade!! So fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  35. What a cool lampshade and a stunning upcycle, Julie! You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Wow, awesome transformation, Julie! It was cool and retro before, and now is a total showpiece with your fall makeover!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Julie, how cool! You always make amazing things, always!!

    ReplyDelete
  38. WOOOOOOOWZA! This is amazing, Julie! I LOOOOOOOVE the shade alone and dressed up! BEAUTIFUL upcycling-- love the details of the banner! YOU ROCK!!!

    ps...thanks for leaving so many comments on my blog while I was away for the past..... FOREVER.... ok just week:) You've made my day! You are the BESTEST!! THANK YOU x100000000 <3

    ReplyDelete
  39. OMGOsh Julie, this is awesome!!! Never in my life have I seen this great alteration before. You have done a fantastic job on the enormous lampshade, this is true work of Art and I love it!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  40. wow! All of that hard work really paid off. This is gorgoeus!

    ReplyDelete
  41. What an awesome recycled lamp shade! Perfect for this time of year! Carri~Abusybee

    ReplyDelete
  42. This is a great thanksgiving centerpiece. I love those little banners and I really love how you stitched the sticks to the top. There are so many great little details.

    ReplyDelete
  43. WOW! This is stunning! Love the burlap!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Amazing piece of artwork!! You did it justice!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Wow! You amaze me! Your talent goes so far.....so creative! <3!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Beautiful! Love all the embellishments and details.

    ReplyDelete
  47. FANTASTIC! LOVE the leaves and the sentiment banners and those sweet acorns!

    ReplyDelete
  48. Oh Julie, all your work paid off with this stunning Thanksgiving piece!! ~ Blessings, Tracey

    Garden of Grace

    ReplyDelete
  49. Goodness I am amazed at your creativity, Julie! Awesome!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  50. My goodness. This is sensational!

    ReplyDelete
  51. TY for linking up this way "out of the box" project Really a lamp shade. Great thinking on this one:)

    ReplyDelete
  52. Wow you really worked magic on that. It's fabulously fall!!

    ReplyDelete
  53. Fabaroonie, Julie! What a transformation. Kudos to your dad for being so well trained to spot the potential in there, one it reached your artistic hands. I just love that little banner you created!

    ReplyDelete
  54. AMAZING! You've become quite the altered project girl!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so MUCH for taking the time to leave us a comment!! We appreciate that you are taking time from your busy day to visit! :)