Saturday, July 13, 2013

It's a mad mad mad Hatter world :)

Hi everyone! 

My work does a lot of fun (and sometimes GEEKY things -- more on that in a minute -- *wink*) things to help keep morale up  ... and our latest "contest" is to create a Disney themed hat :)  

So being one of the crafty peeps on my team... I volunteered to create a Disney themed hat :) 

Went to Michael's store last night and got some red/white/black goodies to go with a Disney theme :) 


Let me just add a disclosure here ... I am NOT the biggest Michael's store fan (don't hate on me ... we are all entitled to our opinion! LOL!)  -- they are just cluttered, messy, their aisles don't flow and they are small, and the products don't seem to MESH well together with how they put things together -- my skin crawls when I go to Michael's ... lol!   I normally choose to shop at local scrapbook store's, online or at JoAnn's ... but I was desperate for this hat stuff... so onto Micheal's I went :) 

Started with this FOAM hat that Michael's had :) 




And here is what I turned it into to :) 

I was going for a mix of the hat James Franco wore in "Oz - The Great and Powerful" and some Johnny Depp Mad Hatter from "Alice in Wonderland" :)




I started by sponge painting it red and while it was still wet I poured on the glitter :) 

Then when it was dry I added a red mesh ribbon all the way around the hat :) 

I took three manilla tags and covered them in Crate paper that I had that was playing cards :)  

I then decorated the tags with glittered pipe cleaners and added pompoms, Heidi Swapp arrows, blinged brads, and Mickey Mouse head/ears stickers :) 


Ohhhhh and "ESSU" is the acronym for my team at work :)









I also added some Heidi Swapp stars and a Bella Blvd. feather :)


On the back I added a Disney sticker :)



I found this large white flower at Michael's and misted it red to go with my theme ... then I didn't like the center, so I added a black flower from a set I found at Michael's and threw on some Mickey Mouse head stickers :)






And as I mentioned in the beginning of this post ... my work does a lot to help keep morale happy at work :)  Wellllllllllll yesterday was DRESS LIKE A GEEK day :)  

And you guessed it :) I played along :) 

And of course I used WASHI TAPE on my glasses :) 

 



I know, I know, I make Geek look Good :) 



Thanks so much for stopping by! I appreciate it! :)

46 comments:

  1. How fun is this!! You did an awesome job! and yes, you make geek look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the hat and your outfit! It's perfect!'

    ReplyDelete
  3. What fantastic ways to use your scrappy supplies! Especially the washi tape on the glasses! Love that hat! Just perfect!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That hat and your outfit both rock!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rofl!! LOVE the geek photo of you with the glasses with the tape :). Your hat is awesome! The longer I look at it, the more I see!

    ReplyDelete
  6. you are so gorgeous ... tooooo funny Jules, fabulous hat too xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  7. cute cute hat...so many love put into it! Thanks for sharing with of of us your creation!
    keep in touch!
    Bibiana

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh my gosh, that hat is gorgeous and you make an adorable geek! lol...thanks for the smile :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a brilliant hat!! And you make geek look good!! You're not the first person to say Michael's isn't the most pleasant place to visit - I have heard it before. I'm like you in that I like a nice shopping experience and I have to shop online but I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh so true you make Geeky look good. LOL
    Love the hat! All that glitter will knock there eyes out. Very pretty! Love it! TFS
    So glad you work were people care about you morale!
    Hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  11. hee hee... love your geek 'look'... its fabby, made me smile! And your hat!!! WOW... it was one of those 'gasp' moments!

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOL You are hilarious! Love your geeky outfit. And your hat is fabulous! What wonderful glittery goodness! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOOOOOOVE that hat!! It's soooo freakin fantabulous! You're definitely rockin the Geek Chic too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. ok your work sounds like FUN!!!!! LOVE LOVE your killer hat and great geek wear!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. LOL Love the geek picture,awesome!!

    I have this huge weakness for the Mad Hatter so i luv luv luv your project,well done!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ha ha, you DO look like a true geek!
    So SUCCESS!! Loove the hat!! I don't know about Michael's but would love to go there just to see what all the buzz is about!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. How fun and wild is this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOVE what you've done here Julie!!!!!!!! Love your washi glasses too. You are too funny! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. How and great design love it :}

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks so much for the smile this morning. I LOVE it. You look great..

    Hugs~

    ReplyDelete
  20. The hat turned out so wonderfully! The photo of you dressed as a geek is hilarious. I love that you participated!

    ReplyDelete
  21. That is absolutely fun Julie, and your geek look is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  22. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your FAB altered hat and your geeky picture, of course. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  23. Such a fun project, Julie!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Awesome hat! I love the shimmer from the glitter! Thanks for sharing this fun project.

    I also totally agree with you about Michaels. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  25. How fun, girl! You did a fabulous job on that hat, and I just love your geeky look ;)! I have to agree with you about Michaels, too. It drives me NUTS!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow this hat went from drab to fab!! Love it!! ~ Blessings, Tracey

    http://gracescraps.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  27. WOW!!! The hat is SUPER COOL. Love how you have decorated it with bling and glam lol.... and for the outfit you look good dressed as a geek, a hilarious photo, love it!!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hehe...you certainly make geek look cool! :)

    Love your gorgeous hat...so many fun elements to it and the glitter is the perfect icing!

    ReplyDelete
  29. How fun Julie! the hat came out fabulously and you look adorable as a geek!!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Lol!!! I think you make a fine geek! lol! What a super fun way to keep work lively and fresh! You guys are so brilliant. I love your Disney hat! Truyly! You did do a fantastic job on it! So very creative!
    Hugs,
    Terri

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wow! How much fun is your office?!!! You totally cracked me up with your geek outfit and the hat is so creative!!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. OMGosh, you do make geek look good, girlfriend! You are soooo stinkin' adorable, and your work place sounds like a wonderful place to work! Awesome job on that hat! Your team is going to WIN!

    ReplyDelete
  33. That hat turned out beautifully! It's super fun and sparkly! I know exactly what you mean about M's- I used to work there and it drove me nuts. I do think they've put some thought into how they should actually set a planogram because I have noticed that several areas are starting to have a better flow and seem to make more sense. BTW- you are the cutest "nerd" I've seen! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  34. what a FUN crafty project! aND you look MARVELOUS darling!

    ReplyDelete
  35. LOL girl you do make Geek look GOOD!! love the washi on the glasses :)

    you rocked the hats!!!

    btw: i only go to M's and J's as that is my only choice besides HL in my town and i feel about HL like you do about M's ;) do 90% of shopping on line and it is well worth the shipping costs :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. That hat is so super fun. Love your Geeky outfit too!

    ReplyDelete
  37. So fun! love all that glitter on the hat.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Swwweeeeeeeeeeeet outfit! Love your hat, too. The arrows on the pipe cleaners are fantastic... I can just imagine the Bobble Head effect!

    ReplyDelete
  39. OMG you look so much like Brookie in that pic!!! I think it's your pose and facial expression!! Too cute! Speaking of Brookie, I'm surprised you didn't have her model the hat?!?! And a great hat it is! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  40. I love that you guys do this! Must be a great place to work! BTW, I've found that Michaels stores vary from disgusting to amazing. I've never seen another chain that has such a wide degree of quality before. They redid ours a few years ago and it is FABULOUS. Go one town over either direction and they're just like you describe: crowded, disorganized, messy, and just overall lame.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Stunning hat. I love your geeky photo :-)

    ReplyDelete
  42. Very fun!! I think with Michael's it definitely depends on which location you go to! It looks like you have a very fun work! At my work we have um...dress like a lawyer day...everyday...boo. haha

    ReplyDelete
  43. I am laughing out loud! I am going to have to get that t shirt for you that says "Talk Nerdy To Me" and you can share it with your honey!
    I love the hat you created. You amaze me! Such talent. Geeky glasses and all!

    ReplyDelete
  44. You do make Geeklook Good!! And I love that hat! I want to work where you do!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so MUCH for taking the time to leave us a comment!! We appreciate that you are taking time from your busy day to visit! :)