Sunday, October 28, 2012

Asked and answered :)

Hi everyone :) 


First .... I want to send all my prayers out to my friends and family members that are facing the hurricane on the East Coast of the US ... and also prayers to my friends on the West Coast of the US that are under a Tsunami warning.... scary things happening out there right now....


A lot of you know that I create fast -- it's just in my nature (or DNA -- since I have ADHD and things are always flying through my head... lol) -- and recently I have gotten some questions about how I store my layouts and do I actually know how many layouts I have made ---

Well.. I can definitely answer how I store my layouts -- lol!! No problem there :)

I used to buy actual scrapbooks -- but then as I started creating more and more and more and more pages -- and it became apparent to me that I couldn't keep up with the cost of actual 12x12 scrapbooks! :)

Soooooo -- I started buying these --



 They are those 12x12 scrapbook plastic bins that you find at Michaels or Jo-Ann's I also have found them online for a little more than I actually pay in stores -- 

12x12 Scrapbook albums only hold so many pages (20 I believe, it's been soooo long since I have bought one, I have forgotten! lol!!) -- and these plastic bins hold 40-50 pages per bin depending on how 'thick' my layout is --

I also only buy them when they are on sale at Michaels or Jo-Ann's ---- I usually can catch them at $3.99 or $4.99 a piece -- when I find them on sale, I buy a few of them at a time. 

Here is how I store them --



On the top shelf, you can see two empty plastic bins -- I told ya ... I buy extra when they are on sale :)

They stack easy and fit perfectly on my shelves :)

But to show you -- I did use to buy albums :)

Here are the scrapbook albums that I have filled since I started scrapbooking :)



See that white thick one below -- the 3rd down from the top???? That is my VERY FIRST completed scrapbook I ever made!!!! It is Adam's BABY album (so yes... that means it was made 15 years ago!!!) --- it's an 8 1/2 X 11 book  -- and looking back at it now... oh do I giggle at my old pages!! But hopefully, someday Adam will love them :)


Now -- to answer the other question about how many pages I have actually made!!!!

I have NOOOOOOOO idea!! LOL!!!! :)

I haven't just made all the pages in the plastic bins and scrapbooks you see above -- I have also made FULL scrapbooks for friends and family over the years -- along with single scrap pages to go in frames for friends and family members ---

So .... when I first started scrapbooking 15 years ago when Adam was born -- I really wasn't that "into it" -- I was doing it as a "sometimes" hobby --- making pages to carry on Adam's life ---

Then I became a single Mom when Adam was 1 1/2 years old and had to work two jobs to make ends meet -- and it wasn't as easy to make scrapbook pages (please please please don't take this as I think Single Moms CAN'T scrapbook -- I just know for me -- it wasn't always easy to find the free time...) 

When I met Brian, and we got serious... then had Brookie together -- it got easier for me to make layouts again (and it made it even easier as Brian completely and totally supports my passion for scrapbooking!!) -- so then it became a FULL BLOWN PASSION to scrapbook ... and I haven't really stopped at all since Brookie was born ... 

So for 6 SOLID years, I have been making pages --- with adding the extra 9 years when Adam was born/younger child where I dabbled in this hobby ... 

Sooooooooooo if I had to guess ....

I would say I have made over 2,000 scrapbook pages -- and that's not counting all the cards and altered projects I have made :)

Just in the photo of the plastic bins above -- I would say there are over 1,300 pages in them :)


Now -- the other night I saw  Yvonne's blog post  that really hit home -- she was asking her followers -- 

This year, I find myself doing fewer single photo layouts and incorporating more photos on each layout instead. My rationale is simple...

1. Multi-photos help to tell a story better.
2. I do fewer layouts per event.
3. It takes up less space.
(the above is taken from her blog post ... )

Then Yvonne posted this..... 


Nobody talks about this...but while I want to preserve family memories, I am also mindful not to accumulate too much for future generations.You know the adage...one man's treasure is another man's junk? 
(The above was also taken from her post...)

So it made me wonder --- are Adam and Brookie gonna care about my pages when they get older? 

Are they gonna love going through my plastic bins that are labeled for them? Are they gonna love digging through my old scrapbook pages? 

I have lived by a scrappy motto for awhile now -----

So, I used to over-analyze and over-stress on how EVERY one of my pages looked when I was done... I used to move my embellies here and there, and move my papers here and there... and then one day I realized ... Why? Why am I worried about what everyone else is gonna think of my pages? All that matters in the end is that I LOVE my pages...and it doesn't matter what everyone else thinks about them.. I am not always going to create a masterpiece, I am not always going to create a lo that everyone loves...and that is okay....because in 30 or 40 years from now...I can PROMISE you that my kids ARE NOT going to look at my pages and say, "Yeah....um Mom, these are great...but you know, it would have LOOKED so much better if you would have put that embellie over there instead of there!".......NO...they are going to be happy that I have left them a legacy of my pages about THEM! They are not going to care what they look like, they are going to care that I made layouts just for them. period. 


I am hoping that someday they will love them...and I am so hoping that they pass them onto their kids :)

But I also see Yvonne's point :) Wonder if the kids (especially Adam being the boy and they NORMALLY don't care for creative things made by Mom) -- will think my creations are my trash?  It is something to think about -- but for now.......

I can't stop creating -- it's in my blood -- my Mom, Aunts, cousins ... all of us have that creative brain ... and I can't really see a day that I stop making cards, layouts and altered projects :)


Soooo there you have it -- very long --- but it's what I have been asked ... and I try my best to answer when I get asked a bloggy question :)

Now to end my post on a different note ---

The other day, I pulled out Pasta from the kitchen cupboard to start making dinner and Brookie saw the box and got SUPER DUPER excited and ran to her backpack ---

She had made Pasta-Art that day in school and SHE KNEW that the pasta she had used on her project was the SAME Pasta I was cooking that night for dinner! LOL! :)

It's the simple things my friends :)



And also -- since it's almost the end of the month -- I want to share my monthly photo with me and my babies in honor of Aleida Franklin (for Aleida's story -- please see my side bar) 



(And PS ... I promise ... Adam isn't cranky --- it was early in the morning ... and Adam has NEVER been a morning person!! LOL!!!) 


Thanks so much for stopping by! I appreciate it! :)

38 comments:

  1. I agree, sometimes you just got to create because its what we do, it helps me destress....my loved ones understand that and will just have to deal with renting an extra dumpster if they dont want to keep all my collective crap!!! Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great storage ideas. I'm not one to do many LO's {not sure why} but if I was I would definitely do this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, at least he got into the photo! I know what you mean about the accumulation of albums. I have worried about that many times. Those bins are awesome. I will have to give them a think. I drive myself crazy with the same thoughts as your friend Yvonne! Scrapbooking is my escape & therapy, so I will continue to do it. I push those thoughts away when I have them. It's a tough call. We can only hope someone will treasure them. Great thought provoking post Julie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have totally sat there staring at a page & thought the exact same thing.... why am I worried about what everyone else will think of this page? No one in my family that looks at this in the future could give a rat's butt about the "stuff." All they'll care about is the photos & the stories.

    Love the family photo!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. First, let me say that there is no right or wrong when it comes to scrapbooking, how much we do, for whom we do or it why. I am very sensitive to "over-creating" for my family. My grandmother was a scrapbooker and she had hundreds of albums on the top shelves of all her closets. We all secretly wondering who would get them and how they could possibly store them. We all talked about taking a few and donating others to the local historical society. Well, once my grandma turned 80, she started secretly burning her albums so that they wouldn't be a burden to anyone. By the time we found out, they were almost all gone. The ones we have left are treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ♥ you. and I don't even worry about if Bret will love or want all my creations. i'll be gone so i'll never know. so i just decide that he'll love them and i'm happy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You sure have lots of books and pages!!

    LOVE your photos - the picture of Brookie's art is great and I love your monthly photo!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is a great idea to use the plastic containers Julie!! I think I shove about 50 or more layouts in my albums, because I am too cheap to keep buying new albums. Believe me when I say, they are about to explode!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Julie I love this post for many reasons!! One is that you are so right in everything you said. Secondly I love your idea of the boxes although some of my layouts are so thick!! I think only 3 would fit lol. Do u label them chronologically?? Thirdly I'm ok if my kids don't want it. I know I will enjoy them when I'm older and I'm definetly enjoying making them now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh!!! Lots of interest here to read and think about!!!! Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Excellent post my friend!! I hear people say ALL THE TIME "Im just not creative enough to do that" YES YOU ARE!!!! If we all approached our scrapbooking with the same unabashed creativity a child has we could all be artists!! I used to stress over my layouts too......and as you know, one of the little voices in my head is named Julie and she is a bully!!! She taught me that I CAN do awesome pages and not spend several hours putting it together, unless I really wanna :) I wonder the same thing with having boys....are they really gonna care about my scrapbooks when I'[m gone??? I'm leaving a note in my will that I want them buried with me if they don't want em......lol

    ReplyDelete
  12. So interesting Julie! I do buy albums (WRMK ringbinder ones) I bought them all at once & had them shipped over from the States in 3 big boxes - because they hold the most pages & are easy to file without the post system. Each child has their own colour but I am so behind on my filing - I have layouts everywhere right now - I am hoping to get on top of that soon! I do believe there is some truth to being over prolific as well. I don't scrap every photo or tell every story - I just don't have time for that - but each year each child gets about 50 layouts added to their albums (as I scrap on average 20 pages a month & some of those are for our family or holiday album or for swaps/friends/gifts etc so it's only a couple of albums per year which I don't think is over the top. My plan is to eventually put the albums into a kist/trunk for each child (or maybe 2 of them) & for each child to have around 40 albums. I think it's not that much space for their history :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my gosh! You are SO right! Look at all my boxes full of LO"s... but sigh... in the end... I've loved creating everyone of them! (very big smile!) Wish I could get those plastic boxes!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh wow! I really want to get those plastic containers. They can store a lot. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Adam is such a good sport about all of the pictures.
    I love this post Julie, I go through the same struggle a lot. But I have to create, I just have to and if it all get thrown away when I am gone or I give it to someone. I don't know and that is OK. I stopped doing pages because of the book thing and wanting to pages together and all of that. Plus I started when my boys were in there late teens and I became a single mom and had no time or money. It seems too over whelming to go back and do their life but maybe some day. I sometimes pull out some pictures and do a page for a challenge and then it goes in a container like yours.
    This was comforting to read. Thank you and bless you. Hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  16. loved this post!!! great to know how you store your pages, very good idea!!! and LOVE seeing your monthly photo too!!!! brookie is sooo cute. I always wonder what my kids will do with all their albums too. I know if I even had ANY access to ANY of my photos growing up I would love to share them with my kids and look at them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. thank you for this very interesting post Julie!
    I've really enjoyed it and I've had a great time catching up with the beautiful layouts you have made in the previous posts.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love your plastic containers!!! I really so need those.... Very organize too...!!! I enjoy reading this post!!!.... For me I do not have a concrete reason.... I just love to create... I love papers... DH always said... "these are thousands of $$$" !!! Maybe Matin wouldnt care... but it doesn't worry me... one thing im sure...keeps my sanity!.... what matters when I'm creating ..I'm the happiest!... hugs...xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  19. HOLY COW!!! 2000+ pages! WOWZA! I bet I've made that many cards in 4 years (and only 200 of them were duplicates all the others were originals)....but pages....that's more work! So I applaud you:)

    As for boys wanting these scrapbooks/etc.---I think your son would cherish his pages! I think he understands it's your passion and someday he will enjoy going back and looking at the positive notes you've written/pictures you've taken/etc. I also think his wife might enjoy learning about him/his family someday:)

    Can't wait to see the next 2000 pages you make:)

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a fun post!!
    Love how you store your many Lo's & cards!! Love those storage containers too and I just started using a couple of these a few months ago because I store them under my bed but usually in a bigger lone rectanle oen that people store blankets in. Since the house is on the market I needed a place I could hide them and not in the closet. Then a couple months ago I bought 2 of these containers you shared just to keep my recent ones in and then I will add them to the bigger boxes. Love that you have them all stacked nicely on a shelf so clever & organized!! Love the picture of the 3 of you and love Brookie's pasta art so fun and creative!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great way to store those lo's. Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo many!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll have to get some of those containers! TFS! Love the noodle page....too cute. Brookie is so sweet! Great pic of you and the kiddos too!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Until this year I really only scrapbooked vacations/for my kids. I am trying to change that and do more pages of myself, and in many ways it's still for the girls. I do think that they will appreciate them later in life. Already Ellie loves to pull out her album and show it to people who are visiting. It's a great way for her to know/remember faces of people she doesn't see regularly too. I'm guessing that during the teen years she's not going to be so enthusiastic about it, but probably later on in life she'll appreciate it again.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am not a morning person at all so I can understand Adam there. Thanks for sharing your process with us. I really love the photo of the three of you. I think it's so special that you do that!

    ReplyDelete
  24. After your e-mail, I bought 2 of those bins. I bought them online because I have no idea when I will ever venture over to Joann's again! So I didn't get a great deal, but I just really needed to start protecting my pages!! So thanks again!
    As for the stack of layouts I'm leaving behind... I worry too, but I would rather give my kids the choice of keeping or throwing away my stuff than to not leave them anything at all!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh gosh how I LOVE this post! I have the same debate going on in my head. Right now I would say I have filled 12 albums... 50 pages each... and I think... in about 30 years and I going to need a shed built to store all of these?? Then I remind myself how my parents have "Some" photos from when I was growing up ... but not a ton. I think I started scrapbooking for the story telling mostly! I hope and pray that my kiddies want to keep these books and pass them along. I like the idea of one of your readers saying that she is going to buy a trunk or chest to store them in. I too have some of those plastic container... they hold my "Club" and "Crop" pages that I just haven't added photos to yet. Ohhh... I think this will always be a battle in our heads. What will happen to our pages when we go?? I think I would much rather have most photos on pages telling a store then stores on some memory card or hard drive for others to find and wonder what the heck they are all about. You don't need a memory card reader to look at a scrapbook page. :) In 20 years, those could become extinct and then what? Where do all those photos go?? Sorry for the babble... but you really got me thinking. :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Ohhh... excuse all of the typos. :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I really need you! this is amazing organization!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Amazing! I am sure they will love looking thru their boxes! Carri~Abusybee

    ReplyDelete
  29. You know, it's crazy, but I had moved into those storage containers for layouts the beginning of this year.. of course I haven't created a layout in ages, but I do so love storing my layouts in those craft bins instead of albums now. LOVE your new monthly photo, I was thinking Adam didn't look too thrilled ATM.. *grins* LOVED this blog post!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Having just cleaned out my mom's house over the summer, and having my 27 year old son help, I can attest that men get every bit as sentimental as women. Every once in a while I pull out things I've made or whatever, for my kids and they fondly recall the time they first saw it....it does happen, and it's gonna melt your heart.

    Hugs,
    Meri

    ReplyDelete
  31. Adam's face is THE BEST!!! Ha, ha, I so get it :) Loved your thoughts (and Yvonne's) definitely something to consider.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I have stacks of layouts that need to be put into albums...but I am still looking for cost effective ways of filing them.

    ReplyDelete
  33. I have about that many albums full too. Somewhere around that. I should take a pic and put it on my blog. I like your storage paper unit! :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love that you do a picture of you and your kids. That's something I'll have to begin doing. Wish I'd done it years ago. :/

    Thanks for showing how you store your scrapbook pages...it's much smarter to do those bins than the books! (and cheaper too)

    ReplyDelete
  35. I often wonder what may be "too much" as well. Especially considering how many albums, mini albums and photo books I have right now and we don't even have children yet! But, like you, I NEED to create and I primarily do it to make myself happy. If someone else gets benefit from thumbing through the memories someday, that makes it even better :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. What a great post, Julie! Love seeing all the photos and hearing your thoughts. I have to admit to struggling with the whole dilemma of creating too many scrapbook pages to pass on down to my kids. They aren't really that interested now, and not sure if they will ever be. Once I filled up my shelves, I kinda stopped creating pages. Guess that's why it's kind of rare to see layouts from me these days. I pour my creative energy into cards and smaller projects instead. :) Love your idea of storing layouts on those plastic bins. I know I stopped buying albums a long time ago.
    Great family photos! I love that Brookie always has a big smile on her face!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Cool post, I have a few of those containers but in Australia on sale they're $11.00, normally $20. Things are so much cheaper in the US.
    Nice family photo too :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so MUCH for taking the time to leave us a comment!! We appreciate that you are taking time from your busy day to visit! :)