Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Day three of "How does she do it?"

Hi everyone!!!

It's day three of my week long post of sharing tips/techniques and sharing my projects that I made on my scrappy retreat a few weekends ago --- here is a recap from Monday .....


I have decided to dedicate this entire week to sharing a little into my scrappy world and how I get it all done .... A couple of weekends ago, my friend Krista and I headed up to Payson, Arizona for a scrappy retreat and during that weekend (Friday afternoon till Sunday afternoon), I made 27 layouts, 67 cards and 1 altered project --- and since I shared HOW MANY projects I got done in that one weekend -- I have had several people leave me comments on my posts and also emailed me asking me, "How do you do it Julie?" 

So this week, I will be sharing my layouts and cards that I made that weekend, giving some insight to how I create so fast, giving some tips and sharing everything that isn't DT assignments... :)



Today, I am sharing 4 layouts I made on my scrappy retreat!!


This first one was a lot of fun to make!! A few weekends ago, the family and I went to visit one of Brookie's old nurses from her hospital that moved to Cottonwood, Arizona!! It was a nice day trip and it was fun catching up with her!!

I used American Crafts Amy Tangerine, Little Yellow Bicycle travel goodies, 7 gypsies tag and Studio Calico wood buttons!!

Since the Little Yellow Bicycle tags were all travel related, this one came together pretty easy -- my technique for this layout is that it really doesn't take a lot of 'bulk' to make a page -- all of my embellies are flat on this page, but it still appears to be full! :) 

One thing I strongly believe in this hobby we all share, there are no rules in scrapbooking... add as many or as little embellishments that you want!! It's all up to you!!!! :) If you want clean and simple... or fill the page up, it's totally up to you!!!!  My style has changed many times over the years, and in the end --- all that matters is that we have pages that we have had FUN making and that we have something WE LOVE TO DO to pass on to the next generation!!!! :)








This next layout I used a vintage restaurant ordering form, Studio Calico's Mr. Huey's mist, MME chipboard, 'clear' frame from ??. 6x6 paper from ??, 7gypsies tags, a vintage playing card, Creative Imaginations silverware brad and a Websters journal tag.

For this page, I again used the Mr. Huey's mist in a different way than it was intended -- I take the lid off and 'splatter' mists on by using the plastic nozzle (spout) that sits inside -- this gives me the splattered look on my layout ..... and also I love Mr. Huey's mists as they dry so fast!!! :)

Another tip/technique that I have to share is don't be afraid to use journal spots WITHOUT journaling on them! :) Here I have layered three 7gypsies journal spots and I didn't journal on them -- I just used them as embellies!! :) No harm in using something out of the box :)









This next layout came together pretty fast as the Theresa Collins 12x12 paper that I used for my background took up a lot of the design and I didn't want to cover that part of it :)

My tip for this page -- down in the lower right hand corner you will see half a wing -- that was part of a  set at one time -- but the other half of the wing had been ruined sitting in my messy tote bag! lol!! So don't be afraid to use only half of something if that's all you have! :)

My other tip for this page -- Do you see the "Happy Love" circle tag on the mason jar??? The tag actually reads "Happy Love Day" ... as it is from a Valentine's Day set! If you have something "Holiday" related -- don't feel that has to stop you from using it on any layout/project you make!!! In my case ... I used a petal from the layered flower next to the "Valentines" circle tag to COVER the word "DAY" ... now it just looks like it says "HAPPY LOVE" ... which is my title for this layout!! :)




My last layout today I used Cosmo Cricket decorative tape, MME chipboard pieces, a feather, a Kraft tag, paper flowers a co-worker bought for me, a rosette, American Crafts, Studio Calico rub ons and a Sassafras sticker.


My technique on this page is don't be afraid to layer rub ons -- I had a partial package of Studio Calico rub ons left and I layered them down in the right hand corner. It turned out pretty cool, I think! :)


Another tip is to use decorative (washi) tape as a frame around your photos!!





Thanks so much for stopping by! I appreciate it! :)

51 comments:

  1. Fabulous LO's, thank you for sharing all your tips, great ideas !!!! Deb x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just love how colourful these are. Love how you combine elements together for a unified look. And those are some fabulous family photos. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic layouts, I love them. I'd never have thought of using the journalling spots without journalling. They look great used like that and I have so many of them. Thanks for the awesome tips!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gotta start using my journaling tags - I find it hard to, & you've had some wonderful ideas for them! Thankyou:):):)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love, love love ! Just gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing and gorgeous layouts, Julie! I love your tips - thanks so much for sharing them with us! I am going to try using my Washi tape now!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I could seriously spend the whole day in here looking at every little bit you put on those layouts! Awesome idea covering a word , and I love the expression "Family are like Fudge" Soooo funny!!! Oh Brookie you are soooooooooooooooo sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. super awesome...
    iSpy a mason jar:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. GEE! you have been busy.. all of these layouts are FANTASTIC Julie.. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. My gosh, Girl, you are just on fire! I have to say, I am LOVING all your retreat projects! The eclectic mix on these is absolutely amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fabulous lo's Julie! The getaway was so fruitful! Your creations have all been amazing! Such neat ideas and so inspiring as well!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh Julie these are fantastic, love the smurf layout!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fab pages. Love the Smurfs. :) So cool how you used 6 x 6 paper on a page too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love them all, but boy is that yellow one fantastic!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm just amazed at how much you got done! The layouts you shared today are amazing, thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are all so wonderfully done! Hmmm, I thinking though that you must have a REALLY big tote bag .. like a double decker XXLL! LOL Great job, julie!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just never get tired of seeing that "Brookie smile". These are beautiful Julie..I'm still in awe of your projects.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for sharing all your great tips, Julie. And you are so right: Scrapbooking have NO rules at all. Everything goes. :) :)
    I love all the layouts your are showing us these days - and love to read what you have used for the projects.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Girl you have been busy! Wow! All fantastic and so unique! I just love your layouts!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Super pages, Julie! LOVE all these tips and techniques you're giving us! And using journaling spots just as embellies is one of my favorite things to do! LOVE how they add another layer to a cluster of delicious goodies!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Cool pages Julie! Sure you must feel fantastic having put all that lovely stash to such good use!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. try this one more time....

    Hi Julie! Those are great pages and a great tips post!
    You're so good at that! I haven't scrapbooked all summer, so terrible. But i am slowly returning to real life again and scrapbooking is on my list.
    Hope you have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lovely layouts! It's fun seeing those older pics of Brooke.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wow Julie, I think these layouts are some of your best work! I love all the little details you are adding to your layouts! Awesome job!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I love each and every one, I love the free style and great way you use embellishments.
    I so want to scrap when I see your layouts. I really need to sit and play

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thanks for EVEN more inspiration!! One thing I always take away is that I "over think" my layouts! I'm really going to try to just go with it.

    LOVE the idea of using tape around the picture!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. awesome layouts!!! i LOVE the photo of miss Brookie with the smirf :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love all of your LO's they are amazing!!!
    One of my favorites ways to use the mist too!
    I agree I tend to not use all of the titles or words either I love to cover up what I don't need at the time.
    Fabulous tips!!
    You Rock!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Fab as always! Really enjoying your tips!

    ReplyDelete
  30. fabulous pages!!! WOW oh WOW!!!! you are rocking it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. These are GREAT!!! I'm still trying to grasp how you make them so quickly and still have them look amazing! Sometimes my fast pages totally look like they were created in a flash.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Love all of these Julie!! Great embellishments on all of your pages!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I'm loving all these fabulous tips!!!! Love your pages too :) :)
    ~Kim

    ReplyDelete
  34. I still think you scrapbook in your sleep. This week of posts is making me feel inadequate. LOL! You're amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. These are great! Love all the layering and details!

    ReplyDelete
  36. More yumminess Love all the pages. They are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  37. These are all so sweet. You do such a good job of taking everyday photos of your kids. You have the best pics!

    ReplyDelete
  38. These are all awesome LO's!! Love seeing young(er) Brookie pictures, so cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Great tips and cool layering on all of your layouts!

    ReplyDelete
  40. I so love how different each of your layout is and each one is amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Yeah, I can't figure out how you scrap that fast either! These are all so amazing--and they all look unique. Very beautiful work, Julie. You are such a fab scrapper!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Oh my goodness girly. I have been just drooling over all these pages you have been doing. They are fabulous..

    Hugs~

    ReplyDelete
  43. What GREAT layouts, Julie!! LOVE all the different designs! The sentiment on the first one - Families are like fudge... is too funny!!! (=

    ReplyDelete
  44. Julie!!!! You did it again...ooopss... I love them all girlie...!!! You rock!!! ... They all look fabulous!!! And thanks for sharing some of you tips. I need all the help I can get..You are awesome!!!! Hugs...xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  45. These are gorgeous, Julie!! My fave is of Brookie with her hands folded - so sweet!! ~ Blessings, Tracey

    http://gracescraps.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  46. Ohhh, it's a pure joy going through this week's posts. These layouts are wonderful!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Okay...these are off the hook and I love them big time!!

    ReplyDelete
  48. i love how you use patterned paper as a base... you use it well. and love all the rub ons you used. rub ons are so under rated.
    =)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so MUCH for taking the time to leave us a comment!! We appreciate that you are taking time from your busy day to visit! :)