Thursday, September 6, 2012

Day four of "How does she do it?"

Hi everyone!!!

It's day four of my week long post of sharing tips/techniques and sharing my projects that I made on my scrappy retreat a few weekends ago --- here is a recap from Monday .....


I have decided to dedicate this entire week to sharing a little into my scrappy world and how I get it all done .... A couple of weekends ago, my friend Krista and I headed up to Payson, Arizona for a scrappy retreat and during that weekend (Friday afternoon till Sunday afternoon), I made 27 layouts, 67 cards and 1 altered project --- and since I shared HOW MANY projects I got done in that one weekend -- I have had several people leave me comments on my posts and also emailed me asking me, "How do you do it Julie?" 

So this week, I will be sharing my layouts and cards that I made that weekend, giving some insight to how I create so fast, giving some tips and sharing everything that isn't DT assignments... :)


Today I will be sharing 4 layouts that were made on my scrappy retreat and some tips/techniques along the way! :)

My first layout today is using a package of Sassafras flowers, the 12x12 background paper is ??? and a circle tag from MME.

My tip/technique for this page is don't be afraid to fill up your page and also make it 3D!!! 99.999% of this page is from one package of Sassafras paper flowers!!! I just divided them into 4 sections and used 3D pop dots to raise them off them page --- it came together very quickly and fun!!!

Also earlier this week I mentioned I don't use a lot of alpha stickers anymore to make my titles --- for this layout, I used a journal tag from MME -- totally effective, fast and it avoids digging through your alphas to find enough to make a title! :)







My next layout has some Jenni Bowlin, a vintage dictionary page, Tim Holtz distress ink, Basic Grey journal tags, a real postal stamp, a sticker (the LOL! one) from ???, Thickers and some random buttons.

My tip/technique for this page is don't be afraid to use the same thing over and over and over on your page!!! As you can see, I used the SAME Basic Grey journal tags ("it's all in the details" ones) throughout this entire page -- normally I wouldn't do that -- but since I was trying to de-stash at my scrappy retreat -- I decided to use the whole pack on this one page -- I think it turned out pretty cool and didn't overbear the page either!! :)



Now on my last layout -- I mentioned I don't use alpha stickers that much anymore -- that is true ... but since this layout focused on my doggy Dandy -- I had to make an exception as I don't have too many things with his name on it! LOL :)

And again I took a vintage dictionary page--- crumpled it up and inked it with Tim Hotlz distress ink! :)




My next layout is using Jenni Bowlin journal cards,  Tim Holtz distress ink, SRM stickers, a stamp from The Luv of Art and a chipboard embellie from Want2Scrap...

My tip/technique for this page is again, don't be afraid of using the same product over and over and over again on your page!! On this page, instead of seeking out papers to go under my photo, I took a bunch of Jenni Bowlin journal cards, inked all the edges and used that as my background!! :)

I also had an older semi-full sheet of SRM stickers in my tool tote bag -- I used the rest of the package on this layout -- concentrating on the top part of my layout to create ONE long title for my page!! :)



I am NOT a stamper --- TRUST me on this one!! LOL!!! Never have gotten the knack for it -- yet I own a TON of stamps!! So thankfully Krista was with me that weekend for she ROCKS at stamping and she used her stamp press to create this for me!!! I used to run a challenge blog called, "These are a few of my favorite things," and this STAMP was PERFECT for my blog back then --- I was afraid to use it because of all the words on it and the possibility of it NOT turning out right ... so I handed paper, ink and the stamp over to Krista and asked her to do it :)

So my tip here is ... DON'T be AFRAID to ASK for HELP!!!!! You never know unless you ask!!!!!! :) 



My next page was a little stressful to make!! LOL!!! :)

Now all this week ... I have tried to STRESS to everyone NOT to STRESS over your pages... don't over think them... just go with the flow... but this one had me sweating ... but in the end ... I made it work :)

On here I used Jillibean journal tags, cherries are from Creative Charms, Thickers and the rub ons are from American Crafts...

Ok... so now to explain my stress on this page!!!! :)

I didn't want to take the time to make each Jillibean journal tag all straight and perfect on my page... and that is TOTALLY ok to do!!!! :)

Once I had all the journal tags adhered down, I grabbed an OLD OLD OLD package of American Crafts rub ons that I had in my tool tote bag ---- that was STRESS number one!! :)

The rub ons looked PERFECT in their package.... yeah not so much when I started using them --- they were old and once I started rubbing them -- they cracked and didn't "take" very well to my papers ---- but you know what??!?!?!!?!? IT IS OKAY!!!!!!!!!!

In the end I think it turned out looking pretty cool!!! Each rub on on this page looks crackled and kinda 'vintage' looking... so STRESS averted and there you go!!!!! :)










Thanks so much for stopping by! I appreciate it! :)

47 comments:

  1. Wooohoo... You have been very productive. I LOOOVE the first one the best with your cutiepie in the pictures. So pretty with all those different flowers layered!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey YOU!!! WOW WOW WOW.. They are all amazingly beautiful!!! Thanks for the tips again!!!! hugs...xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing! My fave is those journaling tags as a 'frame'- that looks awesome...more storing away of ideas going on here in OZ:):):)!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the Sassafras Paper flowers! I thought they were fabric chipboard! Very cute L/O ...thanks for the tip not to be afraid to use the same thing over and over and what a cute dog! Like his name too, hehe I love the Vintage feel to the l/O
    The outdoor scene is gorgeous, I love how you stamped over the layers in the back... On the last gorgeous L/O I am happy the rubons were the way they were, it truly adds character and that is your style... I love reading your post , you can really make me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mr. Dandy is so handsome!!!! Love, love these!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another great collection of pages, Julie! Love the layered flowers on the first page and the cool way you used the Jillibean journaling spots!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love these! You are right the cracks make the page! =) This has been a fun week so far and great tips too! I can't wait to see the rest!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't believe you did all these at the retreat....did you take a pic of your luggage you took with you? seriously there is a TON of embellies...you rock my soul sista...that first layout reminds me to pull out my sassy goodness and use the blooms like that...I have a ton of them...somewhere...LOL...I need to get organized.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't tell you how much I've loved this week, Julie! Each and every project I see, I saw to myself "now this one is my favorite".....and then I repeat myself on the very next project! I swearsies, Girl, you were on FIRE at this retreat! Each and everything you made is completely fabulous! You ROCK!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great layouts Julie! Love all the bright colors and sweet pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such sweet memories all wrapped up in these wonderful LO's, Julie!! Love the distressed, cracked look of the rub-ons too! ~ Blessings, Tracey

    http://gracescraps.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fabulous! Love all of these...they look great! My favorite is the first with all the sweet flowers and Brookie looks so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  13. TFS your tips every day, Julie. I have had the same issues with old rub-ons, and I let it bother me...yet on your LO, I love the vintage feel it provides. You are so right...it's okay/no reason to stress over these things. Great perspective. Now I can say, "I wanted it to look like that!"

    ReplyDelete
  14. Super gorgeous pages. I really love how you used the journal tags. Clever!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh Gosh, I LOVE the flowers in your first layout,King Dandy is completely adorable and I adore those little tags in the second layout, Amazing journaling work in the third and I Love how you mixed it up in the last layout. I think the rubons are perfect!! ( I kept mine too long too and the same thing happened). Gives a vintage feel! Have a great day!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my goodness. I am in awe with all these fabulous pages you have been doing.. LOVE them all..

    Hugs~

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love that nature layout, but I'm not quite sure what it's of. Can you please tell me where you took that picture, it's so interesting.

    Hugs,
    Meri

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awesome layouts Julie! I love the Sassafras flowers on the first. The colors are gorgeous on that one. Love the earthy colors on the 2nd & 3rd. Your puppy dog is so precious. And the last one is so cute! Love what you did with the journaling squares! I know exactly what you mean about rub ons! They are not all created equal! But your right, it crackles add a cool feel to the page. I wouldn't have even thought twice or really noticed it if you hadn't said something. It looks like that's the way they were meant to be! Good save!

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's hard to imagine someone so efficient getting stressed lol. But, it was all for nothing the lo turned out great. My fave is the one with the SRM stickers, they look fabulous over top of the vintages pages.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very productive indeed!! I simply LOVE that 1st LO its fabulous, all those colors !!!WOW!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have read your last 4 posts with interest and have come to the conclusion that I "over think" to such an extent that sometimes I don't even get out of the starting block.

    ReplyDelete
  22. 4 fantastic layouts keep'em comming!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love love love these. Especially all of the different flowers on the first LO :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love your layout...I have those same sassafras flowers and I love how you used them...I want to scraplift your layout :) THanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  25. LOVE all of these! I have that same pack of Sass flowers and you gave me a great idea. LOL

    Your tips are terrific - can't wait for the next set!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Some of my favorites so far, Julie!! I LOVE those Sassafras flowers you used on the first one...so cute! And the repeated tags on the next two is a fabulous idea. But I am really loving the last one and I think the rub-ons created an awesome effect, being "crackled" like that!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I don't even know where to begin, Julie! YOu've got mucho goodness here. EAch one is so different, too. LOVE those little crocheted cherries to bits!

    ReplyDelete
  28. More gerat tips today! I think the cracked rub-ons look great on the last layout. GIves them a vintage look. :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Once again, thank you for your great tips! I'm going away for a scrapbook weekend in a couple of weeks and I plan to follow your advice!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Awesome! My favorite is the BMW2. I would have taken the time to make sure everything was lined up perfectly and I would have freaked out if the rub-ons had cracked, but you've proved that it actually looks great if they do.

    ReplyDelete
  31. WOW!!!! fun fun pages and love seeing all those embellies!! I LOVE all the flowers on the top one!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. More awesomeness! I really love the layered, popped up flowers on the top layout :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. These are all fabulous and have amazing different ideas - very inspirational! TFS! :D

    ReplyDelete
  34. Fabulous work as always Julie!
    Thanks for sharing this very interesting post with us readers ;-))

    ReplyDelete
  35. Endless beauties here, everything is so wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Love your style, your attitude and your pages!!! Simply wonderful!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Such great tips and techniques, Julie! What a great week of sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  38. wow! youve done so much! I love these!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Woow...these r fabulous. I luv these.

    Sudha
    sudha-kalra.blogspot.in

    ReplyDelete
  40. Love your Lo's!! Very creative and so fun!!
    You really did get a lot of LO's completed!!
    Amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Great techniques and suggestions! I think that's so hilarious of Dandy with the remotes!!

    ReplyDelete
  42. just so awesome design and wonderful techniques

    ReplyDelete
  43. Love, Love, Loving all your fabulous tips!!! Great Fabulous pages too!!! Now to tell us a tip on how you are able to visit and comment on so many blog friends blogs! I don't get to many comments and I see you all around the blogashere :)
    ~Kim

    ReplyDelete
  44. I have been following all these on my phone this week & forgetting to comment - sorry!! I have really enjoyed this series Julie & loved seeing your plethora of projects :)

    ReplyDelete
  45. Love the big flowers on the first page & I think the rub-ons look adorable as-is! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so MUCH for taking the time to leave us a comment!! We appreciate that you are taking time from your busy day to visit! :)