Friday, September 7, 2012

Day five of "How does she do it?"

Hi everyone!!!

It's day five of my week long post of sharing tips/techniques and sharing my projects that I made on my scrappy retreat a few weekends ago --- here is a recap from Monday .....


I have decided to dedicate this entire week to sharing a little into my scrappy world and how I get it all done .... A couple of weekends ago, my friend Krista and I headed up to Payson, Arizona for a scrappy retreat and during that weekend (Friday afternoon till Sunday afternoon), I made 27 layouts, 67 cards and 1 altered project --- and since I shared HOW MANY projects I got done in that one weekend -- I have had several people leave me comments on my posts and also emailed me asking me, "How do you do it Julie?" 

So this week, I will be sharing my layouts and cards that I made that weekend, giving some insight to how I create so fast, giving some tips and sharing everything that isn't DT assignments... :)

The full story of what/why I am sharing this week -- see Monday's post! :) 

Today I will be sharing the last of the layouts I made on my scrappy retreat weekend :)




On my first layout I have used Prima 12x12 paper, vintage lace, a little card I picked up at a boutique, some vintage bits I got from Hanneke in the Netherlands, Fancy Pants journal tag, and an old envelope that I won from an auction awhile ago ...

Ok now for my tip/technique for this page -- don't be afraid to use vintage goodies with newer photos!!! I know that a lot of people think that you can only use vintage embellies on layouts with older photos... On this page, I used several vintage bits and my photos of Brookie are from 2010 ... but I felt the need to use those goodies on this page and it worked!! So never feel like you have to fit into the 'norm' of scrapbooking, grab something that you normally wouldn't think about using and throw it on your page! :)






Now my next layout isn't my best one I have ever made --- but that is OK!!!! I am good with the way it turned out --- and it helped me use up a lot of photos from Adam when he was younger! :)

I used MME 12x12 paper, Echo Park, vintage games pieces (from the Game of Life), real postal stamps and a a journal tag from a little book I won awhile ago at an auction.

My tip/technique for this page -- don't be afraid to use A LOT of photos on your pages!!! All of these photos of Adam were BEFORE I had a digital camera, so I had no zoom, no editing, just literally a film camera that was a point and shoot!!! So all these photos I was able to cut out the backdrops and cut them into small photos just showcasing Adam and use more photos on here!! :)






Again, don't be afraid to use 'out of the box' stuff on your pages -- I used game parts and real postal stamps on here!! :)



This next page is super clean and simple and that's ok too!!

I used MME 12x12 paper, a Making Memories journal paper, a ribbon, a Jenni Bowlin calendar tag, Thickers and some rosettes!! :)

My tip/technique for this page --- THERE are NO MISTAKES in scrapbooking -- only a chance to add more to your page!!!! LOL!! I have always wanted a reason to say that!!!! LOL!!! When I first was making this page -- after I added the Jenni Bowlin calendar tag, I decided to write the year on the calendar in my own handwriting -- like I have done on countless pages before. BUT BUT BUT ---- I messed up when I wrote it down IN SHARPIE ... so there was no erasing it! -- so I grabbed some Thickers and a small piece of paper and made the year with those covering up my mistake!! :)

So don't freak out if you have a mishap on your page --- as I said on Monday, in 50 years when our kids and grandkids and great-grandkids are looking at our pages -- they will not find mistakes -- only beautiful pages we made for them to carry on!!!!!




Another tip  -- don't be afraid to use journaling that is pre-printed on your background page  as your title!!! This was printed on the MME paper and if you look at my page, there isn't another title created by me, I used the one all ready there!! What a time saver that is!!!!! :)




This last page I made was a lot of fun to throw together!!! I used Echo Park 12x12 paper for the background, another vintage dictionary page, Tim Holtz stamps and Distress Ink and Tickets, some Jolee Paris stickers a friend gave to me, Pink Paislee tassel that my friend Joni gave me and a Kraft journal tag I found on ETSY.

  My tip/technique for this page is don't be afraid to INK it up!! Since I knew I was going to use Tim Holtz's stamps on here -- I decided to ink everything else on this page to go with the flow of the stamping... I inked the Paris and Eiffel Tower Jolee stickers, the Tim Holtz tickets, I inked the dictionary page --- I inked it all!!! When you do this it helps with your color scheme --- if things don't "feel" like they are matching -- ink them and they will!!!! :)




Thanks so much for stopping by! I appreciate it! :)

39 comments:

  1. Oh wow these layouts are amazing, I especially love the first one super adorable! Your layouts always inspire me, they are so wonderful!

    Have a great weekend!

    Frank

    ReplyDelete
  2. I truly enjoy your post... these layouts are amazingly beautiful and inspired!!!Thanks Julie... for sharing your tips with all of uS... hugs...xoxo...psst: enjoy your weekend...xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. paris wanna be:) love it...happy friday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous layouts as always! And the "Paris wanna be" is hilarious :)

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhhh, love these!!!! Wonderful vintage looks and the Paris wanna be page is a huge favorite!! So much fun and totally gorgeous. Love stamping on layouts!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great tip not sticking to the norm Julia, I will have to try vintage with new photos! I love the second layout!! Love all the photos and stamps, I would love to do this type of L/O for Michael!
    I could say much more but in short thank you for all the wonderful tips, I am really enjoying this series you have going.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful! My favorite is the first one! Love the way you used the vintage pp's with a new pic...looks fab together! You're right, most of us use the vintage pics with vintage looking paper...thanks for the insight...very helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Over Achiever!!! :) This just boggles my mind....you get me together with a buncha girls and I will get nothing done but I will be caught up on tv/movies/gossip/and possibly come home with a makeover......and hangover.....lol

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have really loved this week on your blog, Julie! All your retreat projects are SO fun and beautiful, and I love hearing your tips and techniques. You have amazing style, and I really love your attitude, too. You've got it figured out what's important and what's not. Good for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. More great layouts from a talented crafter ;)! Really love those little pics of Adam, too! I see Brookie in his face ;).

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great layouts Julie, I love the one of Adam...and the way you used postage stamps on it....cute.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just love all these layouts! Can't even choose a fav ~ their all wonderful :)

    Paula
    lifeasweknowitbypaula.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am in awe my friend, I really am. I have to work at being more spontaneous.lol
    Love them all but really love how you used so many pictures in the Adam layout.
    Great job and thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  14. More wonderful pages and memories. Thanks for all the tips!! Love how you covered the date mistake. I'm always having to cover up mistakes and often like it better with the cover-up - lol!! ~ Blessings, Tracey

    http://gracescraps.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Julie, even more than I love your layouts (which are fantastic), I ADORE the fact that you've shared layouts you don't consider perfect! You inspire me to keep sharing....even if I don't think what I've made is fabulous :) Thank you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wonderful tips, Julie! Love every single layout so much!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am absolutely amazed that all the layouts you have shared were done in one weekend! They all have so many details and bits that are amazing! Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  18. happy friday!!

    it is a good thing your kids like to be photographed!! lol these are fantastic layouts girl :)

    lol Paris in Vegas, brings back tons of memories (used to work there)

    ReplyDelete
  19. amazing layouts yet again and i love the photos in each one!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wonderful layouts and wonderful photos!! You DID get so much done!! I have been to a few weekend crops... and I get some things done... but mostly get caught up in the chit chat and everything else. How fun for you and how fun for us to be able to SEE!!! Love all of your "No mistakes" in scrapbooking hints! So true!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. check out all your amazing pages!!!! way to go!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. You can do clean and simple, the layered look, the altered look. Gosh girlfriend, is there anything you don't do?? Your so versatile. I LOVE IT!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Fun photos on these. Love them all. Have a happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am loving all of your tips/techniques Julie and this is another awesome group of layouts!! I think the one with all of the photos turned out really fun and I LOVE that pretty tassel on your Paris Wanna Be page!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. So many wonderful tips and ideas. They are great! Love all the layout but I am afraid I would have to be there and watch you to see how you get it all done. LOL I just know it would be so much fun spending time together. Thanks for all you ideas and tips. hug linda

    ReplyDelete
  26. More great layouts! I especially love the memories of Adam one. Love how many photos you were able to incorporate!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Fabulosity ~ pure fabulosity!!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I loved all of them. I think the one you did of Adam is pretty awesome IMHO!! Love the photos so much!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love the way you fixed your mistake. I think the tape and numbers looks great - you'd never know it wasn't planned that way. Love the Paris LO too!

    ReplyDelete
  30. wowza this are soooo gorgeous design's and with lovely pictures

    ReplyDelete
  31. What a lot of fun you have here, thanks for sharing and have a great weekend my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Great tips & pages!! Now to just retain all the information :)
    ~Kim

    ReplyDelete
  33. These are sooo great, but that one with a ton of pictures is seriously inspiring! I need to learn to get more in a single spread more often. :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Lovely job with all of these Julie!! Well done on your scrappy roll!!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Love it all! So, we've already determined that you didn't sleep all weekend. Did you chat with others at all?! I can't chat & concentrate on scrapping, which is why I scrap alone... LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  36. fab fab fabulous layouts! I especially love the one with multiple photos!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so MUCH for taking the time to leave us a comment!! We appreciate that you are taking time from your busy day to visit! :)