Monday, September 3, 2012

A week of "How does she do it?" :)

Hi everyone!!!

I have decided to dedicate this entire week to sharing a little into my scrappy world and how I get it all done .... A couple of weekends ago, my friend Krista and I headed up to Payson, Arizona for a scrappy retreat and during that weekend (Friday afternoon till Sunday afternoon), I made 27 layouts, 67 cards and 1 altered project --- and since I shared HOW MANY projects I got done in that one weekend -- I have had several people leave me comments on my posts and also emailed me asking me, "How do you do it Julie?" 

So this week, I will be sharing my layouts and cards that I made that weekend, giving some insight to how I create so fast, giving some tips and sharing everything that isn't DT assignments... :)

So let's start with my goal that I had that weekend!!!!

First, I got my DT assignments out of the way -- I had to make 8 layouts and 1 altered project for DT's that I am on.  I am a stickler for deadlines -- I ALWAYS create ahead for my DT's -- never last minute, usually a month ahead :) I got all my DT assignments finished on Friday -- and then I started with my "just for fun" projects!! :)

So, after I got those out of the way, I made a personal goal for myself ----

As most of you know, I go to my friend Krista's EVERY month for her monthly girls night crop at her house... well... I have a rolling tote bag and a "tool" tote bag that I bring with me every month to her crop -- to avoid packing these two bags EVERY single month, I keep tools, embellies, pens, stamp pads and other essentials in my "tool" tote bag all the time --- ALL the TIME ... I haven't cleaned it out or organized it in YEARS ... seriously people it was a mess ... I so should have taken a pic of it BEFORE I started working these projects -- but I didn't, so you will all have to use your imagination :) 

But ... I did get one pic of just a SMIDGEN of the 'stuff' I had in my "tool" tote bag and posted it on Facebook -- and I made a vow to CLEAN out my tote bag and use all the embellies, little papers, etc that were in there basically just USE UP MY STASH!!!!!!!!!!!

Here is the picture that I posted on Facebook :)

Seriously people... this isn't even a 1/4 of what was in my bag ..... so I kept reaching in my little tote bag and just kept pulling out stuff and pulling out stuff and pulling out stuff..... 

Nothing was from matching collections ... nothing was from specific manufacturers --- all varied goodies -- all still good scrappy stash!!!  After I emptied my tote bag -- I got to work!!!

Today I am going to share 3 layouts that I made during that weekend using my stash from my tote bag (and as a side note --- I still made 12x12 layouts -- so the background papers are from my rolling tote bag where I keep my 12x12 papers :)


My first layout I am sharing has a lot of different things going on -- some Bella Blvd. some old 'clear' decorative frames from someone -- no idea who... lol, some Jenni Bowlin number flag stickers and some Jenni Bowlin journal papers from a little pack I had, some Nikki Sivils brads, a Crafters Workshop mask ... oh and some Sassafras too! :)


Ok ... let's talk technique on this layout --- my friend Krista brought her Copic markers with her to the retreat along with her airbrush gun!!! BEST invention EVER!!!! I love when I can use Krista's Copic markers with her airbrush gun! This is what I used on the Jenni Bowlin journal cards along with the Crafters Workshop mask.....

The Copic markers fit right into the airbrush gun --- place your mask/stencil where you want it -- and literally press the airbrush gun with small shooting strokes!

Since Copics are alcohol based they dry instantly!!! No waiting like you have to wait for paint or mists .... just shoot over the mask/stencil and your design is dry before you even get the cap back on the Copic marker!! Seriously... drys that fast! :)






My 2nd layout I am sharing today uses Teresa  Collins background 12x12 paper, Fancy Pants journal papers. another 'clear' frame (again... have no idea who made them) -- some "friendship" journal spots I had that was given to me from a co-worker, some Tim Holtz tickets and an Elle's Studio journal spot.


This one I don't really have a technique to share -- just a tip on how my mind works when I create --- I don't over think my pages -- I don't take my time laying things down over and over again -- in this case, since I all ready had everything out of my tote bag on my table next to me, I just grabbed a bunch of stuff that had to do with 'friends' since I knew I would be using a photo of Brookie and her little friend Aerin -- and I just started laying it down -- once I have it all laid down -- I grab my adhesives and start permanently lay it down :)

Let's be honest, in 40-50 years when my kids are looking back at ALL my pages, are they going to know what manufacturer I used? Are they going to know when I used old stash VS. brand new goodies? No... they won't have a clue ... I can only hope that they appreciate the history I put together for them to pass on to the next generation! :)
Yes, I am like every scrapbooker who LOVES it when the new goodies are released from CHA --- I LOVE looking at the new releases, can't wait to get my hands on all the new goodies -- but in 50 years from now when my kids are going through their scrapbooks -- none of that will matter -- as by then it will all be old :)

That is why I never over think my projects --- I know Brookie and Adam are not going to care about WHAT I used on my pages, they are going to care that I MADE the pages for THEM to carry on!! :)
 






The last one I am sharing today is another airbrush technique --- I got a package of large doilies from the dollar store -- but since I used a light background 12x12 paper, I wanted the doilies to stand out -- so again, Krista let me chose some Copic markers and use her airbrush gun, and I lightly airbrushed the edges of each doily!! :)

On this layout -- UGH... I can't remember who makes the 12x12 background paper I used... MME maybe?? Anyhoo... I also used doilies, Pink Paislee tassels that my friend Joni gave me, some flowers,  Fancy Pants journal papers and a real postal stamp! :)




Another trick I use to make my pages go fast is when you see mists on my pages ---- I don't usually spray it out of the bottle as it's made for --- I take the lid off and just let it drip from the bottom of the plastic nozzle --- it creates little splatters that I am looking for without causing a huge misty mess :)

Also --- I ONLY USE Studio Calico's Mister Huey's mists --- they dry SO MUCH FASTER!!! I know that there are die-hard Glimmer Mists, Shimmerz, and Maya Roads misters out there -- and YES, I have used all of those before -- but I really LOVE Mr.Huey's and loveeeeeee how fast they dry!!!! Makes my pages go that much faster!! :)
 


Ok.. that's it for today --- I will be back everyday this week to share more that I did on my scrappy retreat!! :)

Thanks so much for stopping by! I appreciate it! :)

54 comments:

  1. OH my, what an amazing group of layouts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. fantastic layouts!!!

    sorry not buying your story as i am sure you have a caffeine drip going when your crafting!!! lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. All I can say is you are one AMAZING crafter!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I so love your tips and words...my worst enemy is over thinking. I keep looking for more things to "try" to see if it works.
    I always love your layouts.
    Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Julie:) Thanks for visiting me today:) I am always amazed at how much you get done and they are always amazingly beautiful too!
    Have a great week!!!
    (()) Gail

    ReplyDelete
  6. Damn. I now need to get the Copic Airbrush system. lol

    These are amazing! As always. I always stick my things down so I can't move them. Really helps with time management. I love Maya mists though...for me they dry instantaneously. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well I hope I learn a thing or two, but I'm just a slow scrapper. LOL

    I ask myself all the time, "How does she get so much done?" Haha

    Now you're going to show us. Woohoo

    ReplyDelete
  8. You amaze me me !!!! You may do your projects quick but they always look fab, I'm so slow, I could work all day on one project. My friend always says that to me about who's going to know in years too come if it was a new paper range, as long as you like it now. Deb x

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOnderful...thanks for all the tips & your really diverse collection of LOs...agree re Mr Hueys but LOVE Dylusions for their strong colours:):):)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow Julie, thank you for taking so much time to help us understand how you do it!! Aweseome tips, I really needed the mist tip for I had just mentioned it yesterday on my blog how I am not sure how it is done ... I love your layouts and I never heard of the air gun and the copics being used together like that! Now my question is one you can't answer... how do you think it up so quick and you manage to put such amazing colors together..you are fearless and it turns out beautiful!!! Love Love Love the Best Friends layout!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How great that you and Krista get together every month for a scrappy weekend!! Of course, I'd get like 2 pages done, but that's fine with me. I am getting faster on most things these days, but that's relative - lol!!! My mind works in the realm of I could draw and hand cut a tree with branches and hand make 50 dogwood blossoms to go on the branches. LOL I do love your work, and all three of these LO's are so beautiful and full of precious memories. I also love that you take the time to go encourage sooooooo many scrappers by commenting so cheerfully on our blogs!! ~ Blessings, Tracey

    http://gracescraps.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my Julie... I do admire you... You are amazing!!! Those layouts are absolutely stunning!!! thanks for sharing those tips... too... i'm still amaze how did you manage to do so many...your ideas ...your creativity... just amaze me...I must tell you again you're amazing AWESOME !!! Matin would say..."ahh sick!!" hugs...xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Such beautiful layouts, Julie! Thanks for sharing your creative process - I love to hear how others approach their designs! When I saw your total for the weekend I was so impressed - Im not sure I get that much done in a year! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. You go girl!! :)
    Love that Fall layout. Love the bold colors!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous...every single one. Love the layered doilies with the tassels on the last page.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for sharing your layouts (gorgeous!!) and the tips on how you put them together!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks soooo much for the tips Julie. I really enjoyed reading this post.

    And thanks for the friendly reminder about NOT overthinking. You are right - my kiddos and family only focus on appreciating the creation...not what I used. Soooo very true!!!

    And I must get the airbrush, copics, and Mr. Huey's. I love to try new techniques. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a fabulous post, Julie! I LOVE hearing about your techniques and thought process while you work, and you know what.......what you said about worrying about "new" products is SO true. Our kiddos aren't going to care, just like you said. :)
    I really love all these layouts. I think the eclectic mix you put together as a result of just pulling out all your stash makes these pages so unique and so eye catching. Really love them, and I'm looking forward to the rest of the week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lovely layouts!! Love them all!! You are so efficient!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love these layouts! What you did with the copics on the first one is awesome! I love all the bits of details you added to each page! I'm amazed that you can put together your pages so freely! I wish I were more like that. Maybe with practice??! Thanks for sharing! Looking forward to more!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Awesome pages Julie!! I love how you used up the products in your stash bag!! I need to be better about doing that, but I just like to buy more new stuff!! HA!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. LOVE all the FABULOUS layouts, Julie!!! Yes, your kids will love looking back on all your pages as they get older!!! GREAT memories!!! (=

    ReplyDelete
  23. You really rock N roll with your craft tote! Maybe I just need to get one! LOL! Great designs, they look like you spent hours on them!! Carri ~abusybee
    www.doubleclickconnections.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. You go girl! That's an impressive amount of scrappin and you made some cute pages!
    I recently cleaned out my bag that I take to scrap at my friends house and it was like digging through geological layers. Ah, that's from the dog scrapbook. There's the remains from the horse scrapbook. Here's a bunch of school stuff. The final layer, travel supplies. It felt good to get it all organized and start fresh. Congratulations on getting organized too.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Gorgeous layouts!! Thanks for the tips, I am looking forward to the rest of your posts about your creative process.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  26. Ok..you are AMAZING! I love each and every project! I can't wait to see the rest of them. First thing I'm going to have to grab a coffee and check out your blog each day! I'm so inspired by your creativity my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  27. wow I love those flag JBS stickers~are they new and I missed them some how? Awesome work Julie, just beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Amazing and what a feat to churn out those layouts in one weekend! TFS! And very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I really need to stop "over thinking" everything I do!! Thanks for the "nudge" on this! I also constantly tell myself "it doesn't have to be perfect". I have a real problem with this one!!

    Your theory about somebody looking at your pages years from now, makes me think twice about all the sweat equity I put into everything.

    Thank you soooooo much!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. These are wonderful layout Julie. I can't wait to read the blog this week and learn more about how you get it done. I do my DT stuff first and a head of time but then when it is time to post I forget what I was thinking. LOL It is all so much fun. Hugs. Linda

    ReplyDelete
  31. Your LO's are all gorgeous!!
    Love the air brushing techniques look so fun!!
    I have been working on usig more of my older stash too! I have new stuff that I havent even used yet from the last CHA in Jan-LOL!
    TFS!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on scrapbooking! Your comments about not over-thinking a layout, and that my kiddos won't care what manufacturer is being used on what layout really resonated with me! I'm going to keep those tidbits as well as your others utmost on my mind during my next crop!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I am one of the ones that said, "how do you do all this stuff?" thanks for this info! you could publish a book.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Great blog post Julie. Love the LO's especially the one with the doilees. So so pretty xx

    ReplyDelete
  35. Greta pages and I love it when you share every detail with us readers ;-)
    Thank You!!

    ReplyDelete
  36. wow Julie you are one amazing gal .... thanks for giving us a glimpse into your busy scrap world and sharing some of your delish work ... love you Jules xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  37. Wonderful work and FAST too. Wow. I so admire that! Great tips.

    ReplyDelete
  38. These are wonderful...I wish I wasn't such a procrastinator....

    ReplyDelete
  39. How Fabulous!! I look forward to seeing all your creations!!! I still don't know how you do it. I never have exactly what I need with me when I go to a crop!
    ~Kim

    ReplyDelete
  40. I'm thinking that I need to come to your little group once a month! I can't believe how much you accomplished in one sitting! WOW! These are just as beautiful as the last! LOVE the way you've cut apart your misted paper on the first, too! Looks so neat layered behind your photograph like that.

    ReplyDelete
  41. Loving your pages, Julie .. I think the most I've ever made in a weekend was 27 or something like that .. and I thought I was working pretty fast. But you are so right about what the kids will think. Even now, all they see are the photos! Thanks for sharing .. can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  42. These look fabulous.. LOVE them all...

    Hugs~

    ReplyDelete
  43. Fascinating to learn more about your process! I've always wanted to try the airbrush with Copics - it's such a fun look!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Lots of lovely work here Julie! I'm not a fast scrapper - I enjoy the time it takes for me to put together a layout - I find it very therapeutic! I would love to be able to get more layouts done though of course :)

    ReplyDelete
  45. Your posts are inspiring me to get back to my scrap supplies!!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Awesome idea for a blog series and a wonderful post in itself!! Fabulous pages and great advice on not over thinking it (my biggest problem). I'm with you on the Mr. Huey's - they're the best :)

    ReplyDelete
  47. What a fab idea for a week of posting. I know I over think my scrapping, not sure how to stop, I fuss, way too much. Need to take some of your tips and put them into practice :))

    ReplyDelete
  48. LOVE them all! So proud of you for accomplishing so much. Twice a year my friends and I go on a scrappy weekend at the lake and I am usually lucky to get 20 layouts done!

    ReplyDelete
  49. Julie - This is so cool - to get a peek at how you scrap! So much fun! I had no idea about the airbrush/copic trick. Going to have to talk myself out of purchasing that ensemble....but it sounds SUPER FUN!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  50. Amen, amen, amen on the using stash...not just the latest & greatest. I'm also with you on the mixing & matching! High five on getting those photos on paper & cute, cute pages!!!

    ReplyDelete
  51. Ohhh, what a great post in so many ways! Fab layouts and fab attitude! :)

    ReplyDelete
  52. Hi, I've been itching to get over here to your blog and see what this 'How she does it' thread was all about. love reading your thought process on scrapping. I WAYYYYYY over think things. wish I was better at grabbing stash and just using it. and i love Mr. Hueys too. =)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so MUCH for taking the time to leave us a comment!! We appreciate that you are taking time from your busy day to visit! :)