Tuesday, September 11, 2012

9/11 Memorial -- The Healing Fields ....

11 years ago today....

We shall never forget......

For those that have followed me since last year will know that the family and I head out to Tempe Town Lake the days before 09/11 and go to "The Healing Fields" to pay our respects to those that lost their lives on 09/11/01 .....

"The Healing Fields" is a very humbling experience... each victim of 09/11 has an eight foot tall flag placed in their honor with a place card telling their name, their age, where they were on 09/11 (Pentagon, Twin Towers, or on one of the flights...) and each place card has something about that person ---- I can't even tell you how special it is for me and the family to attend this event every year.....

Here are some photos I took ---

It was quite humbling to see all the flags, knowing each one represented a victim of 09/11 -- I don't even have a wide enough lens to capture each one....



All of the place cards I chose to take photos of -- I don't know any of them personally -- I just chose them at random to share with everyone --- If you want to see them closer, just click on the photo(s).









 


A man was there that played "Taps" on the trumpet -- he played at the exact times that the planes hit and for when the towers fell.... it was quite moving-- here you can see Brookie watching him (he is at the top of the steps) while he plays ....



An organization made a USA flag with Lego's (122,000 Lego's to make this)













There is an Air Force base in Arizona and they donated combat boots for each person that lost their lives at the Pentagon ---- they were all placed at the base of this tree until they put them up by the flags.... 





For any of my bloggy friends that live here in Arizona... I highly recommend visiting here ... 


And the local news was there --- and they caught Brian and Brookie walking to a bench -- you will see them in the outfits (and Brookie's hat) from the photos I took above in this clip here (look for the blue bench) -- Brookie was so excited to see herself on TV!!!





**Edited to add** My BFF's Sister-in-Law lost her husband on 09/11 in the Twin Towers --- when we went to The Healing Fields on Sunday -- the volunteers didn't have all the place cards out yet -- I wanted to get a picture of my BFF's Sister-in-Law's husbands place card for her -- so we went again on Monday night ---

This is my BFF's Sister-in-Law's husband Robert G. McCarthy --



(sorry for the bad glare on these --- I was losing light as we didn't head out there till after dinner)


For each child that was lost on 09/11 -- they had a teddy bear at the base of their flag -- 


This is the child that was with the teddy bear above -- he was only 3 --- 


And Brookie....


Thanks so much for stopping by! I appreciate it! :)

42 comments:

  1. Very moving - a really important event remembered in a wonderfully special way:):)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing post Julie! I seen Brookie in the video!!! The flag made out of Lego's is truly awesome ... it is so nice to have taken so many pictures and that your family visits to pay your respect every year... how touching... thanks for sharing this, really! It really touched me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such an incredibly touching post, Julie. It brought tears to my eyes. The tragedy of it all, and the lives lost, will never be forgotten.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your post Julie! It is a day that changed us all forever. Thank you for sharing! The photo of the boots really choked me up! My husband is in the Army, so that always hits close to home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful post and photos Julie. Thank you for sharing it and for commemorating the day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We will never forget to. I remember where I was and what I did that day so good.
    Thanks for sharing this beautiful post.

    Love from The Netherlands,
    Leintje*

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful post Julie. Your pics are wonderful. Yes, we will never forget.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We shall never forget. It was so incredibly sad and hard to believe when I saw this in the news 11 years ago. I remember exactly where I was and what I did when it all happened.
    Thank you for your beautiful post today, Julie. It's very touching.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful and moving tribute to the victims of 9/11. It gives me chills to see these. How wonderful that your family attends each year. Thanks for sharing all these gorgeous photos, Julie! And so excited that the kiddos got on tv!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We MUST NEVER forget!!!!!

    We have to keep this terrible day in our country's history alive forever!!!

    Thanks for your wonderful photographs, Julie!!

    God bless America!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What an amazing place to be able to pay your respects and remember. Thanks for sharing these photos, Julie.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a beautiful memorial post Julie. It just brings tears to my eyes remembering that sad day. How wonderful that you and your family do this every year. You are one special lady.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, this really chokes me up. I'm sitting here with goose bumps looking at your photos. We have never been over there to see this. It looks amazing. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful photos Julie and such a sweet way to remember those that were lost!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is such an amazing place!! I never even knew it existed. Thank you for sharing this. ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  16. such a beautiful post!!! we must never forget!!! your photos are amazing and what a cool place to visit!!!!!! LOVE your post today

    ReplyDelete
  17. This whole post gave me chills. I especially love the pic of Brooke watching the trumpet player. You can see in her stance that it stopped her in her tracks. wow!
    Love this!
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Quite an amazing memorial. We had a minutes silence at work today.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful pictures and what a wonderful way to pay tribute to those who lost their life that day. My brother in-law was suppose to be there that morning for a meeting it was canceled the day before.
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a special experience, Julie!! I can't imagine the emotion involved in visiting there, but I love that you were able to get photos of the flags and some of the tags in honor of those who lost their lives!

    ReplyDelete
  21. WOW! This was a moving post! Any tribute to 9/11 brings tears to my eyes--I would love to visit The Healing Fields to pay my respects and see all that you've shared today.

    LOVE that Brookie and Brian were on TV!

    ReplyDelete
  22. The photos are beautiful... what a beautiful memorial. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  23. BEautiful post Julie... hugs...xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  24. Very touching!!
    I wish we had a place like this near by where we live how special you and your family get to visit this amazing memorial for those that lost their lives on 9-11.
    TFS!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you for a very very moving post Julie!
    WE shall never forget!

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a tribute. Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Beautiful tribute, Julie! Your post brought tears to my eyes. Thank you so much for sharing this with us.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Amazing post, I need to go see this! I've also been meaning to make it to the memorial here but the wait list is kinda long. The lego flag is pretty awesome. Are there a lot of flags with teddy bears? That is so depressing...though I can't imagine there would've been that many kids comparatively?

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow. You've brought tears to my eyes, Julie. Thank you for reminding us of, well, the fact that we need not to forget what happened that day. God Bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Gosh, I think that I would've been in tears the entire time. So much loss and for no good reason. What a special place to remember!

    ReplyDelete
  31. So touching, Julie!! Thanks for sharing! ~ Blessings, Tracey

    http://gracescraps.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  32. this is very touching! how can we ever forget this tragedy!! beautiful memorial. I was just in NY and saw the memorial there which is gorgeous too

    ReplyDelete
  33. OH my goodness what a touching post. It has me all teared up. It is a day non of us in the USA will ever forget. GOD BLESS AMERICA.

    ReplyDelete
  34. What a terrible tragedy. I still remember it like yesterday. Amazing that you have that so close to you. I would find it very moving to visit there!

    ReplyDelete
  35. What a powerful memorial. Thank you for sharing the pictures and helping us to continue to remember those who are gone.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I've been very moved by your post. Thank you for sharing this and making the memories even more focused.

    ReplyDelete
  37. What AMAZING photographs! Love your tribute for this day! (((hugs)))
    xo
    K

    ReplyDelete
  38. that's so touching. i'm glad you guys could take the kids out there.

    ReplyDelete
  39. great post. looks like such an incredible place to see. so sad... but glad that people remember.

    hugs,
    sarah.

    ReplyDelete
  40. This post made me sad...but I didn't actually cry until I saw that last pic of Brookie!!! So sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  41. AWW...... It just make me cry when I think of 9/11. I actually flew to NY on Tuesday 9/11, our flight was just next to the beam when we were in the air that night.

    ReplyDelete
  42. So very humbling and overwhelming to see each flag and realize that it represents a lost life.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so MUCH for taking the time to leave us a comment!! We appreciate that you are taking time from your busy day to visit! :)