Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Aunt Pat...I am BEYOND BEYOND PROUD OF U!!!!!!!! :):):):)


Hi all.......

I wanted to share some EXCITING family NEWS!!!!!!!!!! Brian's AMAZING Aunt Pat......has sent me this below information!!!!

Good News!! Just had to share this surprise call I received recently from the Executive Director of the Home Safety Council in Washington, D.C.!!

About eight years ago all of the 11 or 12 major national/international fire organization leaders banned together to approach Congress with what the fireservice in America needs, since they were low on the federal funds totem pole. With the help of a number of Congressional leaders (including Senator, now VP Joe Biden) they established the "Congressional Fire Services Institute) in
Washington, D.C. This is an ongoing opportunity for the fireservice to communicate with Congress, get support for legislation and funding needs. Each year they hold seminars up on Capitol Hill and a huge fundraiser dinner in April . I attended several of their dinners in the past and worked their expo on the mall last year when they showcased some of the grant funded equipment and programs through their Assistance to Firefighter Grants (through the Dept. of Homeland Security and FEMA). This was the dinner that I met VP Joe Biden, and heard Nancy Pilosi as the featured speaker.

Another national agency that works closely with CFSI is the Home Safety Council in
Washington, D.C. Each year CFSI recognizes members of Congress, the Senate, and funders who have supported these efforts with awards. Three years ago the CFSI and the Home Safety Council started a special award - the "Dr. Anne Phillips Leadership in Fire and Life Safety Education" award. I was told that I was selected as the 2009 recipient of this award!!!! Dr. Anne Phillips was a part of the Presidential Commission that produced the landmark "America Burning" study and report in 1974 that really started all of the focus and progress in fire, burn and life safety that grew to what we know today! Dr. Phillips focused on the need for education, she was a burn physician and surgeon that I met while working at Cook County Hospital Burn Unit. Together we worked with the Board of Directors of the American Burn Association in the late '70s to create a focus for burn prevention and a committee that is active til today! So, this award, in her honor, is really special to me (she's in her late 90's, and lives in MA)! I'm only the third person to receive this honor!! It will be given to me at the CFSI dinner. Last year 2-3,000 people attended the fundraiser dinner from many of the fire, health and safety and public organizations/agencies involved in fire and life safety. I am so honored and humbled by this recognition !!

Aunt Pat.....I just want to ONE say thank YOU for including me in this JOYOUS NEWS!!!!! I am sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo VERY PROUD OF U! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

6 comments:

  1. OOOhh MY GOOOSH!!!! Congrats!!! That is a hugh honor!! You totally deserve that!!! Way to go girl!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Aunt Pat!!!!!! You have every right to be proud of this!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You rock Aunt Pat!! Thank you for your service!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh How cool!!!! Your Aunt Rocks:) Perhaps I will meet her while out in Baltimore in 2 weeks:) LOL
    SO I tagged your lil butt on my Blog for a fun Lil Challenge I knew you would enjoy!:)
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats to Pat! Rock on! I see coolness runs in the family! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats! That's so so cool!

    <3 B

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so MUCH for taking the time to leave us a comment!! We appreciate that you are taking time from your busy day to visit! :)